Dead in 24 hrs, what is this? Plz help !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CathyRN, Sep 5, 2010.

1. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Hi everyone, I posted a few days ago but with the Labor day weekend I thought maybe alot of people are away. We had a flock of 9 pullets, 6.5 months old, but lost one today due to an unknown disease and for the life of me I have spent hours in my books and on websites and can't figure out what the heck it is....[​IMG] .no recent exposure to any other flocks/ shows/ etc. And Egg Production has been down 50 % for about a week.

The dead chicken was a beautiful barred rock named Rocky, 6.5 months old. Free ranged mostly with Layena supplement....and I always put some of that vitamin/electrolyte stuff in their water. Sweet bird. She was dead within 24 hours of symptoms. We noticed last night around 7pm she was lethargic, huddling away from the flock, walking very slow and not responding to any treats or calls. I checked her for lice/ mites everywhere, nothing. None. Her crop was a bit dry, nothing too crazy. Poop was watery brown and had this white foamy stuff in it. She only ate 1 piece of egg, and not too much of her water once we quarantined her.......unfortunately TSC closed and I couldn't get there until this morning for meds. She made it through the night on our patio, but it went down to 47 degrees and I knew she was probably cold. This morning she had her head down, while I was out at TSC my 9 year old son held and pet her, and then she went into convulsions and died. My son noted that preceeding death she had alot of clear liquid running out her nose, but we did not notice any respiratory or breathing difficulty. [​IMG]

When I got home I noticed 2 other chickens in our flock had the same lethargic symptoms, watery brown and white foamy poop, so I quarantined them too. No mites / lice....I literally scrubbed all water containers, and the coop spotless with bleach and water....replaced and cleaned their nesting boxes, and at TSC bought Wazine because I've never wormed the flock. Also bought Duramycin because the lady told me there it may help.

Put the Duramycin in the water first, and syringed alot of medicated water into the 2 sick chickens.......then after reading things I thought It may be worms but wasn't sure, none of my poop pictures really matched those online.....so I put the Wazine in the water also. All 8 girls very thirsty today and drank well. I noticed after I medicated the water after about 8 hours all girls doing much better, walking around and free ranging well, eating well.....the 2 lethargic girls were still not quite right but doing a heck of alot better.

I am so scared and gosh you just feel helpless when its a holiday weekend, no vets open and TSC had a limited amt of meds......mostly for cattle! and my local co-op won't open until Tuesday. Is there anything else I should buy? At first I thought cocci but that first chicken died so quickly.......could worms kill that quick and is it ok to give the antibiotic and wazine together???? and....what else can I give besides the Duramycin? (I read Ivomec?) [​IMG] Thank you so much for your help, I hope I don't lose any more birds.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    You are gonna get a lot of oppinions here, so ill give u mine first. It sounds to me like she had a Respiratory disease. These can come from wild birds as well as other chickens. Im pretty sure that the change in the weather can cause it as well. I just had a bird die from symptoms like these 3 days ago and i dont live to far away from you in alabama. The antibiotic u have should be fine is a broad spectrum variety just make sure u give it for about to weeks to make sure the birds are healthy. Anyways thats my 2 cents hope it helps, it seems like you have done your research.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suspect worms. She most likely had an overload and they finally killed Rocky. I think if it were a respiratory issue you possibly wouldve noticed the symptoms; sneezing,wheezing,liquid in eyes, nostrils etc...I believe it takes time for an antibiotic to clear out respiratory problems. Whereas wazine will clear out roundworms rather quickly and you'll see your chickens "perk up" as well. If they had an worm infestation, most likely you might see the worms in their poop, check their poop for roundworms. The description of runny poop AND white foam to me is an indicator of possible worm infestation.

4. CathyRN

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Thank you for your replies. So far the 2 lethargic birds are okay.....1 is still lethargic a bit and the other one is now normal. Both poops still runny but now changed color, still foamy white with some dark brownish stuff and watery. We've been looking at all the poops, so far no visible worms. We still have the Wazine in the water and Duramycin.

I'm a bit worried about my one bird...."chippy" she is one of our Easter Eggers, [​IMG] she's the one that is still a bit lethargic. Its a beautiful day here today in TN, she is sitting with 3 other girls under a shady tree and they each have dug themselves a whole, and they are just sitting comfortably....but when I look at chippy sometimes she closes her eyes and her head drops a bit. Not sure if this is a serious symptom or whether she's just dozing into a nap !! If disturbed though she will quickly get up but doesn't get up if called.

I pray that she'll be ok and will update later today. Chippy has had some medicated water today so thats good............

5. CathyRN

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Hi Everyone, ok a little update.......the one chick from yesterday now doing well. [​IMG] Our flock got Wazine dose x 1 and remains on Duramycin daily......I still have one chicken that is acting lethargic, [​IMG] its one of our Easter Egger chickens named "Chippy" (because as a peep she looked like a little chipmunk). She is a beauty, but not feeling well. I've enclosed a picture of chippy and her poop. She is in her quarantine.....and drinking Duramycin mixed with water. She only ate about a tsp. of food today. Didn't eat any scrambled eggs that we made her. Still remains lethargic, and is not laying.

Also, our whole flock is not laying well and we free range them, and for the first time ever they are laying in the bushes. Is the egglaying going haywire because we've just wormed them???? Is this common? We noticed a couple of soft shells all over the coop today and 2 hard eggs in the bushes. We are throwing them out since we have 14 days to wait after the Wazine.

Also regarding the poop pic.......is that worms? I don't see any visible worms in the poop or in the wasted eggs......any advice? [​IMG] I checked her vent today, its a bit pale but no mites or lice......Thanks......
    [​IMG]
    This is our beautiful sick bird, easter egger named "chippy"
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of her last poop, is this worms? I can't see worms in it......
    [​IMG]
    Poor Chippy in Quarantine on our back porch !!!!!

6. CathyRN

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Now some of our chicks have bloody poops, is this because of the Wazine and antibiotics?

7. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Bloody is usually Cocci... the other symptoms could've been the start of it. Blood is a later symptom sometimes.

If that's what it is, you'd need Corid or Sulmet... antibiotics/dewormer won't touch it.

8. CathyRN

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    ok thank you I'll get that first thing tomorrow......ugh this is so frustrating...[​IMG] ...today chippy was fine so she's out and about and spunky as ever, now we have another lethargic chicken with some blood in her poops........it never ends !! it seems like for the last 3 days all we're doing is chicken care its crazy [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Are you sure its blood and not some intestinal lining? They do shed intestinal lining and that is perfectly normal and looks like blood-can you get a photo of that type of poopy?

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would slow down a bit. You don't want to keep changing meds before finishing their course. These are chemicals, so are also very hard on a birds system. Between every medication, they should be provided probiotics (yogurt or something) to help them restore their gut flora.

In your first post, you stated you have them on electrolytes all of the time. If this is true, it can be very dangerous to keep birds on a high salt mixture. Electrolytes are only necessary when your bird is suffering dehydration (typically panting or under severe stress). Even in these times, they need a break from them, so not to overload on the sodium in this product. This can become toxic if given for an extended period of time and can cause organ damage.

Aside from that, the current blood could be due to the parasites letting go and being eliminated. I would finish your current course (do not mix meds or change them suddenly unless advised by a vet) of treatment before beginning a new one. I hope they all pull through for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by