Dead isbar pullet - no obvious reason

Jaylee52

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
Hi everyone -

I came into my coop today to find one of my favorite pullets dead and I am hoping you can help me figure out why.

I had 10 pullets of mixed breed in there, all 4.5 - 5.5 week’s old. I had only just put them in there 3 days ago. Before that, they had been in two separate brooder bins.

In bin A were 4 pullets I got as day old chicks from a local feed store. I actually got 12 originally and 8 died suddenly, in one afternoon, at 4 days old (I posted about this previously). We never really figured out why, but the remaining 4 thrives and have had no issues since then. These 4 pullets are now 5.5 weeks old and slightly bigger than the ones from the other bin.

In bin B were 6 pullets I got from a local poultry fair 2 weeks ago. I got them a 2-3 weeks old, so they should be 4-5 weeks old now. They all got heath inspected the day of ge show and I kept them quarantined in their own brooder for 2 weeks just in case.

The pullets look fully feathered now and our weather has warmed to be 65-80 during the day (Oregon) so I moved them into my BIG (8’x12’) walk in coop. I put a red light heat lamp in for overnight low temps. I put in two feeding trays and one waterer.

Whenever I check on them, I notice they are separated into two clusters, based on which brooder bin they came from. They are not mixing except when I make a scary noise or movement and they all run together to the opposite corner of the coop. But I also have not seen pecking, violence, injuries, or any other sign the two groups are fighting. And the coop is large enough for them to keep to themselves if they’d like.

There’s no blood or bald patches or obvious injury on the dead pullet. She was one of the smallest though, but they are all pretty close in size, no huge differences. And I found her right underneath the heat lamp.

Could the big pullets have kept her from water if they bullied her away from the one waterer? (I have put a second one in the coop after I found her dead).

Could my feed store survivors be carriers of a disease that’s not affecting them but that they just transmitted to the birds I just mixed them with 3 days ago?

Could she have been nutritionally deficient somehow? They just have medicated chick feed and water, no other supplements etc.

Thanks for the help! Sad picture attached.

70468332-75D4-4744-931A-EC3380B44E53.jpeg

1E526CAB-016A-4790-A9C5-850ECC39FE70.jpeg

B350000C-B43C-40C6-BAE2-1170DE9C4F93.jpeg

Poor angel. Considering shes on her side id say heart attack? My 5 year old hen died this morning looking like she was sleeping when she was perfectly fine the previous day. Sometimes chickens just die and no one is really sure why. But just like what i tell myself, she had a good time in your care and gets the luxury of a loving home and chicken mama like billions of chickens arent lucky enough to get. Condolences xo

A necropsy would be the only way to know for sure. I know how to get a free one where we are, but it would take a little research on your part to see if something similar is offered in your area. Otherwise, I'm sorry for the loss of your pullets and I hope it was just a freak occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom