dead mole..?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by glucke, Dec 15, 2011.

1. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    [​IMG] I found a dead mole next to the water feeder laying on its back today. did my chickens kill it? there was no blood on it. are moles a threat to my girls? what was it doing in my coop? looking for food? how did it get in there? i use straw bedding so maybe it came with the bale..? has anybody else ever experienced such a thing?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Morgan found a mole a couple of weeks ago and killed it. I put in the run with the chickens thinking they might eat it. Well they attack that thing and pecked like crazy till they knew it was dead and left it alone. I ended up burying it. So no, a mole poses no threat.

3. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    A mole poses absolutely no threat. They only eat worms, grubs, earthworms and so on. It very well could have been pecked to death but it also could have simply starved to death since moles need to eat all the time. They will die if they go with out food for more then a day or so. Why it would have been there is hard to say, it must have been desperate. [​IMG]

4. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Eww moles are So ugly! I find them dead above ground here a lot. I've heard they can't be out of their burrow for to long. They will bite too.

5. Loudoun

Loudoun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    I think moles are beautiful. They are the only mamal with non-directional fur...stroke it in any direction and it lays flat. I found a big, fat dead mole once and took it to a taxidermist who tanned the hide with fur on for me. Would like to make a stuffed mole dressed up like a gardener like the English do...one can purchase them for (only!) 275 pounds!
    Cheers,
    Loudoun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by