Dead or Alive?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tomibergstrom, Nov 7, 2013.

1. tomibergstrom

tomibergstrom New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Charleston, West Virginia
    My barred rock was missing last night when I put my chickens up. I thought many things.. like someone had taken her, she had been attacked, she was sleeping under my porch.. but I couldn't find her anywhere.. long story short.. I found her this morning in my pond. Standing in it, head bent over, eyes shut.
    I grabbed her up out of the pond.. at this point it had been anywhere between 20-24 hours since she had been in the water. Her legs are stiff and she was very cold.
    I since then have put her in my bathroom.. I dried her with my hair dryer under her wings.. nothing.
    I have her wrapped up in my bathroom still with the heater on full blast.

Is there any chance she will make or am I just being a crazy person with a dead chicken swaddled in my bathroom?

Ugh.

Thanks for any help or knowledge. I am feeling like an idiot that I didn't think to look in the pond for her last evening..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Do whatever you can, miracles do happen! Hope your poor girl makes it. What an unfortunate event [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thank goodness it wasn't below freezing last night like it will be tonight. She may have been dying when she went to the pond. Can she stand or sit up to drink water? How old is she? Chances are she has some defect like a bad heart or something major that has affected her. Keep her warm and keep trying to get some liquids and food into her. Homemade electrolytes work, as well as Pedialyte, gatorade, etc. Scrambled egg or raw egg would be tempting to most symptoms. Hopefully you can get her going, and then find out what is wrong with her.

4. tomibergstrom

tomibergstrom New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Charleston, West Virginia
    She's young.. under a year and very healthy. I think she is dead though.. I've had her inside warming (slowly) for a few hours and she's still limp... not stiff, but I think that's just because she isn't so cold now. : (

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry to hear. Don't beat yourself up over this. Something was wrong with her for her to stay in the water all night. Things like this happen when you have had chickens for a while.

6. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by