dead peep

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heathero617, May 19, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Was candeling my eggs this morning since my new incubator held its temp and humidity for nearly 24 hours! I noticed one just didnt look quite right, so i went to a darker area >my walk in closet< armed with the egg and a flashlight and shut the door behind me. No movement everything sloshing around veins all on one side of the egg, i decided it was done. So i gently poked a hole in the top and peeled away the shell slowly. I noticed brown "goo" and after i made a hole in the inner membrane lage enough to spill it out, everything came rushing out, the yolk was busted )O: Here are tha pictures I took, the shell was a bit dirty, but nothing that made me suspect anything would be wrong. SO whats the brown goo? any ideas? Any one know how many days this is at?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    The brown may be bacteria.

3. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Thank you i was wondering if possibly it was. I have 3 more from the same clutch, i'm a little worried now. Im just gonna keep a close eye on them.

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
  5. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Ms.Frizzle :

I would suspect the brown goo is everything starting to decompose.

Here's a nice chart for comparison on the stages of development!
    http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/images/embryo3.jpg

Thank you for the link, so it could have possibly been gone a while, i wondered that too. all in all, i know it happens, its sad but at least it was early and not just as it was to hatch.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by