Dead pullet-has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenwings, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chickenwings

chickenwings Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Cheney, WA
    I bought 3 pullets at Big R in mid Febuary (2 silver laced wyandottes and a buff orp) After a few days I noticed one of the girls combs was totally flat (one of the Wyandottes), I thought it a little odd, but didn't give it much thought. She seemed fine otherwise. Recently (last week or so..pullet about 6 weeks old) I noticed that she rarely extended her neck, started breathing through her mouth sometimes and when handled she would 'shut down' ..close her eyes and barely move. Today I brought them outside (not the first time) temps were about 38-40 F and after about 10mins I brought their food & water out and herded the healthy chicks to it. I picked up the other girl (who was just standing there in shut down mode) and set her by the food..she fell over & did not get up so I carried her back to the brooder. When set down she immediately started convulsing and died about 1-2 minutes later. Her comb & wattles never developed like the other chicks and she carried her tail much lower than the other girls..I'm curious if anyone else has seen this? Does it sound like she had a genetic defect or something else? I will provide pics of the deceased pullet & the healthy pullet's comb/wattles in a bit.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sadly, chickens do indeed die. Many times we never know why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by