Dead Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Q QUAIL S, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    I have 2 hens and I used to have 2 males. I knew that I had way to many males to a female, but I was afraid if I put him in my two male Texas A & M quail he would beat them to death. So I left him in their and he started to get very ill. So then knowing that he was ill put him in with my A & M's. ,but then I thought that he would do better by him self. Then the next morning I found him dead. Does anyone know what happened?He may have gotten pecked on ,but I am not sure.

2. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    It was pretty cold outside when he got ill.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    You're not supposed to keep mature males together and yes two females is not enough for one male to mate, he will end up hurting them/their feathers.

Maybe things aren't worse because it's not breeding season/it's cold now.

How did he get ill? If he was with a dominant male he could have been trying to be invisible or get attacked while he's trapped :/

You should definitely be able to tell if the bird got pecked at. Feathers will be missing and on the cage floor and when you examine the body there may be wounds. You may also find blood on the aggressors. He could have also bumped his head to death trying to get away from them.

You don't just pop an adult male in with other adult males and leave them unsupervised - there's an almost certain chance he would get mauled/stressed to death.

You need to consider separating the two males before they turn on each other and also get more females so they don't get hurt from overmating. The animals are depending on your actions to keep them safe since they're trapped by us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by