Dead Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slushey51, Jan 11, 2014.

1. slushey51

slushey51 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Hey BYC I've got a problem. Yesterday a red of mine seemed very lathargic and she had light colored diarrhea. This morning when letting the chickens out, she was dead on the floor of the coop. What happend and what should I do with the rest of the flock?

Please help, thanks.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    How old was the bird? Any respiratory problems? Need more info please.

3. slushey51

slushey51 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    The birds are all about 10 months old. No respitory problems. They all have been laying for about half their life and theyve been laying through the winter.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible that she couldve been egg impacted, external and/or internal parasites couldve taken her out. There's really no telling without a necropsy.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you live in the US you should look into having a necropsy done. Many States offer a free or lost cost service.
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

This is how I send one for necropsy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

-Kathy

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In addition to getting a necropsy done, I would get some Corid (amprollium) and think about treating for coccidiosis if there is lethargy, puffing up, diarrhea, pale skin, poor appetite, or ruffled feather. If you suspect that your hen had this, I would start treatment with 1 tsp of Corid powder or 2 tsp of liquid per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all birds at the same time since it is contagious, and make sure there are no droppings in the water or feed, and keep the bedding dry. Sometimes but not always, there can be blood in the diarrhea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by