Dead RIR.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Winslowmom, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Winslowmom

Winslowmom New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    South Florida
    We just found our RIR decapitated and ripped open in our coop. My husband thinks it was a hen fight but I can't believe another hen would be so vicious. We recently added 2 new hens about 3 weeks ago 1 being a large bardrock. We found both feathers in the area of the fight. I can't believe my bardrock did this. We have a large population of hawks in the area but the only thing missing is the head. I say predator....but just in case has anyone had a hen be that brutal?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] i am sorry for your lose. it is very doubtful a hen did this. you have a predator. i have forgotten how it goes but by looking at what part is missing,ie;the head, you can find out what you have.

3. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Sorry you lost a chicken.

4. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Even a rooster wouldn't "rip open" another chicken and since the head is missing it is definitely a predator, probably a skunk since the only thing missing is the head.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Just one one hen? In the coop? Is the coop open enough for a hawk? Could be other critters-raccoons, possums. Usually when chickens cannibalize one of their own they usually rip out the butt -that area is easier to rip apart.

Sorry for your loss.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. Winslowmom

Winslowmom New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    South Florida
    She was ripped open and the egg she was carrying was near her. My husband wasn't sure if her head was mauled or missing. He found her in the pen under the coop. My birds have been very noisy since the introduction of the new birds. They are very quiet since the incident. It occurred about 9am. After feeding time. Thanks for all the replies so far.

8. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Was any meat missing from her ?

9. Winslowmom

Winslowmom New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    South Florida
    No.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens