1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dead roo, should I worry?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JulieNKC, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ok, having one hell of a day. First I drop my egg (see post in incubating and hatching). Then I go out to collect eggs a few minutes ago and find my roo dead. His head was kind of under the door, not sure if he got stuck and panicked and had a heart attack or what. It was the coop door to the big run, and it was wedged open and not swinging, so he would have had to stick his head under it though, and if he could do that don't see why he couldn't get out. He was just as fine as could be yesterday, he never let me get too close to him, but I didn't notice anything wrong with him. He was eating, drinking, crowing, and jumping on the girls. Everyone else is fine. I'm not sure exactly how old he was, he was an adult when I got him. He was huge, but only had nubs for spurs, so I think around a year old. Is there anything I should do for the rest of my flock besides watch them closely?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I call this "Mysteriously Dead chicken Disease". I've lost several over the years that seem fine then drop dead with no apparent sign of disease or injury. Found a young cockrel dead in the run yesterday, no injuries, well fleshed out, no earlier signs of distress, but dead as a door nail. I bury them deep then clean all the feeders and waterers with bleach.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Good idea, thanks!

4. luisviveiros

luisviveiros Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Seymour,ct
    im sorry to hear that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by