Dead rooster and sick looking hen. Any ideas?

sweeterdeeter42

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Today I went out to feed the chickens and my EE rooster was dead and one EE hen isnt looking so good. Everyone was fine as far as I could tell yesterday. Today she is fluffed up somewhat and has white poop all over the feathers around her vent. She is keeping her mouth open all of the time. She is standing up and walking around, but she wouldnt peck at the food when I dumped it out for them. She made a lot of noise and fought me when I grabbed her to look her over though, so she isnt super lethargic. Everyone else seems fine, except a black silkie pullet who always looks like she is dying, IDK what is up with her, but I have always thought that she was going to be dead the next time I see her and I have had her for three months. There is nothing new introduced to them, not free ranging so it cant be a toxic plant or anything. They have had Sulmet in their water for a week or so now since I added the juvenile pullets in with the older flock so I dont think it could be anything bacterial. The pullets are the only survivors of a cocci outbreak we had that killed 90% of my chickens that were between 1 and 8 weeks old. That was well over a month ago, but I put the Sulmet in the water when I moved them as a preventative. Any idea what it could be? The rooster was 3+ years old, but the hen is only a little over 1 year old. It has been in the high 80's the past week. They have had plenty of water though. I really cant afford to buy any chickens to replace the dying ones, I really got hit hard with the cocci and lost 30+ fancy breed chickens. So if anyone has any ideas what it may be and how to fix it, please let me know.

Last edited:
The hen was dead when I went out there today. It looks like she had been dead for a while so she must have died right after I was out there yesterday. She still had her mouth open, and she had thrown up feed because the space between the top beak and bottom beak was full with undigested regurgitated feed. (gross, I know, but maybe it means something.) And it wasnt feed from yesterday, because they didnt get that feed yesterday. It was feed from a few days ago. Everyone else seems fine and was eating and running around like normal. Even my little black silkie. Im not sure what is going on.

Just a guess: After checking out the symptoms it almost sounds like Moniliasis (Thrush). It is very treatable with Nystatin or an antifungal. After treating the birds it is also recommended to disinfect the food and water containers. It is normally contracted by moldy food, possibly contaminated food or water containers, and contaminated birds. It is also common after being treated with antibiotics.

Just a thought! It is so hard losing little feathered friends. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom