Dead Rooster - No signs of anything. Help please!

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
I have no pictures, because there was nothing to see.

I walked out this morning, to let the girls out to free range and to make sure there was water/food. No water, but food. Then I noticed Titan, our full stock Ameraucana rooster, was not comming out - as he usually comes out, makes sure the girls go out, then comes out himself. I called for him quite a few times - no response. I panicked, went into the run and saw him laying in the "spa" underneath the coop, right up against the wires. I knew he was dead - so I went in, and asked dad to get him out from beneath the coop.

Dad walked around the whole coop - there were absolutely no signs of entry - no wires bent, no holes dug beneath the run fence. He was just laying there, dead. No feathers were missing, except for a few in the base of his neck, and some saddle / back feathers - but the down was visible, and there was NO blood. There were no signs of attack on him - no punctures, rips, or tears in the skin that we could see. I couldn't spot anything "off" about the corpse in any way. Dad seems to think his neck was broke, but I don't think so - We couldn't really tell, as he was in deep rigamortis. His head was against his chest, as if he was cold and trying to sleep.

But the coop door was open, and he knows how to get inside! I don't understand why he would've just sat there and froze to death!

I don't think there was any way he was that severely dehydrated. None of the girls were lathargic, and there was water the previous day!

I just lost a hen about a month ago - but we decided that was internal laying issues, or quite probably a prolapse as some of her innards were outside of her vent.

Please help! Im so sad that he's gone. He was turning out to be such a good roo......
hit.gif

Sorry about your loss... This exact thing happened to one of my RIR roos earlier in the summer. I never did a necropsy, but I was told by the breeder the likeliest thing that happened is that he ate something he shouldn't have and got an internal tear or blockage. Did your roo seem bloated at all? That was the only symptom of my roo. A little bloated.
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't notice that he was bloated at all. I didn't see anything wrong with his vent either. I looked at his eyes, but they must've frozen overnight.

The only thing strange, is a that a few days before this, he wasn't on roost with the rest of the girls - he was by himself on a food hanger, relatively close to roost. Its possible that he ate something he shouldn't have while freeranging - but the strange thing is that I havent seen any poisonis plants growning around here, or anything that should've hurt him.

Quote:
Thanks. He really was gorgeous. I just hope I can find a rooster that will be half as good as he was turning out to be.

Quote:
I know, I wanted eggs from them SOOOO bad!!! Sadly, Im not even sure if she was laying, as we've had egg problems too!
he.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom