1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead Rooster!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ericdec69, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Ericdec69

Ericdec69 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Woke this AM to find one of my (young just barely an adult) RIR Roosters clinging to life by a thread, I was in the process of cleaning him to check for injuries (mising some feathers) to try and save him but I was too late, I thought the other roosters attacked him but no blood, no wounds of any kind just some missing feathers, which probably happened when he was down, the others were at him, kind of scratching at him almost as if they were saying hey get the hell up, at least that what it looked like!
    I'm new to all this so I didn't catch the signs, the other day I had to chase him off his perch in the coop after I just gave them Treats, which was weird but thought he was just being lazy because it was hot, not weird, but today looks as tho he hasn't really eaten in a couple/few days, very thin.
    Unfortunately my work schedule is leave early get home late, so I'm not home enough to pay close attention to what's going on with them, so now I must really watch the rest and make sure they aren't and don't get sick.
    I'm sure there are countless amounts of illnesses & things that could have taken his life but besides not eating and weight loss are there really any other serious symptoms I should watch for???

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only sure way to know is to send him off for a necropsy. What state are you in?

3. Ericdec69

Ericdec69 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    NY

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Animal Health Diagnostic Center
    240 Farrier Road
    College of Vet Med, Cornell University
    Ithaca, New York 14853