Dead silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emzee, Dec 18, 2009.

1. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    I noticed that one of the silkie hens had been breathing heavily and making strange-sounding coughing noises for a few days. I was going to wait and see if it was just something that would clear up on its own, but when I went out to the coop this morning to check on her, she was dead! Does anyone have any idea what kind of sickness/disease she had? Is it contagious? How should I prevent the other chickens from getting it?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Without a necropsy, it may be impossible to know the cause. Watch the others very closely for symptoms.

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm working with one of my Silkie girls now. I expected this to happen because our weather is all over the map. The wheezing started two days ago, she was struggling to breath. Started her on antibiotics and she's a different bird today, no more wheezing.

So if you're weather has been extreme in ups and downs and very wet it can cause some problems.

4. emzee

Aug 18, 2009
    Yes, we have had very wet and undpredictable weather recently. What kind of antibiotics did you give your silkie?

5. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Normally for something like this I grab the Gallymicin, this time for whatever reason I chose the Tylan.

As time goes by you will begin to recognize when you need to take immediate action. For this girl I let go from that morning until the afternoon. I needed time to watch and decide what direction I was going to take. By afternoon and the amount she declined I knew that she needed treatment sooner rather than later.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The weather only brings out what your chickens body is already fighting. Besides the wheezing, what other symptoms did she have?
    Common causes of chicken"colds":

MG - causes Chronic respiratory disease. Bubbly eyes, wheezing, clear nasal discharge, loss of weight, feather loss, slow laying in hens,. Also MS - loss of weight and lameness
    Coryza - swollen pussy eye( typically on one side) yellow- clear nasal discharge, wheezing. - often has a very stinky smell about the face, and sometimes the back where they wipe their eye/ nose.

Other diseases are less common - Newcastle, Infectious bronchitis and some others

Most are contagious and can have a carrier state, where birds that recover can be carriers. Do a good disinfecting and watch your birds. A blood test can rule out MG/Ms and some others...... Best Wishes

7. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    You did not list pneumonia, which is what I think my girl is fighting.

This is not my first chicken illness and probably not my last. I've been raising birds for some years now so I do have some experience on how and what to look for. And how to treat or not treat.

8. emzee

Aug 18, 2009
    She didn't show any other symptoms besides breathing heavily. What would be the best way to disenfect my chicken coop, since it has a dirt floor? Where do you buy Gallymicin? Can you use the Tylan for cattle?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    I purchased my Gallimycin from Peter Brown at First State Vet and yes, the Tylan water soluble is the same as you're thinking. The Tylan is 1 tsp per gallon of water.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Pneumonia often falls into those categories also. Normally unless she was left in pooring down cold rain, soaked to the bone, it has underlying causes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by