1. JadedMayhem

JadedMayhem New Egg

May 12, 2016
    we have a hen, Chika, that was attacked by one of my dogs. she played dead but was still severely injured
    (see attached pic) it has been about 6 weeks now and is doing great. but part of her wing just hangs there.

actually it looks like her entire wing is. it gets in her way when she is just walking around. if i amputate the wing,
    where would i cut? below the knuckle?

we have no vets in the area that will evn look at her. none of them deal with farm animals.

input needed and welcomed.

thanks, y'all

Steve

[​IMG]

all the damage you see here is now just dead and flopping around. tried to get a pic of now, but she is out in the back property with her sisters.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Steve [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in. But personally I would be inclined to leave it be and see if it eventually "self-amputates". My main worry about cutting the wing off would be infection setting in.

3. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    that look bad! poor chicken i hope she get better soon

4. JadedMayhem

JadedMayhem New Egg

May 12, 2016
    welp, after the injury, we collected quite a chicken emergency med box.

i'll wait and see more responses if they come, and thanks for yours, but it is getting in the way. it is totally dead.

plus i feel she needs it gone. nature is my path and i listn to Her. i'll post results

5. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    how is chicken

6. JadedMayhem

JadedMayhem New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Chika is fine. i clipped off the wing just below the joint with the 2-bone piece. one of the 2 bones is missing half of it. probably will amputate the 2 bone part in a week or so.

the wing was hanging underneath her, making it hard for her to walk. and with all this attention, she now follows me evrywhere, waiting to be petted or to be put on top of the shed at night so she can sleep below her siblings in the trees.

thanks for your concern! :)

7. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Did you put her under to take it off or ?? Wow. Good for you on improving her day to day life. I'm sure she feels better without tripping over it.

8. JadedMayhem

JadedMayhem New Egg

May 12, 2016
    no, i din't put her under. she was eating her feed while i cut it. it was a quick snip. used hand garden shears.

she nevr stopped eating, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by