1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. jfoldbar

jfoldbar New Egg

Feb 6, 2012
    i have 6 isa browns about 2 yrs old.
    suddenly my wife looked last night and saw one of them dead. and its rear end looked as though it was already starting to rot. it looks as though some small animal had been trying to bore its way into the hen. like something out of an alien movie.
    but it was walking around fine yesterday.
    any idea what can hit them so fast.

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    chickens, and every other bird, has drop dead syndrome, which means they will seem find one minute, and dead the other. It happened to a few of my birds over the years. But your hen is really young, so is there any way a predator attacked it? So sorry for your loss!!![​IMG]

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Small as in a weasel?

4. jfoldbar

jfoldbar New Egg

Feb 6, 2012
    im in australia. there are no weazels here that i know of. it wasnt a predator. i live in a city with fully fenced yard. the only animal that knows i have chickens is 1 neighbours cat is always watching them. it gave up trying to catch them about 6 months ago and now it just watches.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Yes Tadpole98!

A weasel would do that - I had a similar find a few weeks ago... whatever killed my chicken seemed to bore a hole in the side of it... perfectly round and the chicken breast was expertly removed. We do have weasels here and the feral cat usually takes care of them.

The chicken was in the coop at the time but there was a small hole at the bottom of the door which would have accommodated a weasel.

Suzie

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Just read your update - it may have been a cat but ours here just watches and never goes to attack even our young chicks - hope you find out whatever the predator is.

Suzie

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    A cat could have possibly done it too. but usually it would play with it ripping it up and such. ( at least thats my experience with some wild cats.. they are no longer around :p )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by