Deadly Apricots

ZeiaZeia

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2022
I had a bag of dried Apricots. I googled if they were safe to feed to chickens google said the flesh is but not the stems, pits, leaves of apricots. I only fed one handful of chopped up dried apricots to each coop. My 4 adult coops are doing fine. My juvenile coop is doing very poorly several have bad diarrhea and one Bielefelder died yesterday (all are from green fire farms). So in my experience dried apricots are deadly to juvenile chickens. Any thoughts?

Not so much deadly as dried Apricots act like a laxative. Dried Apricots are good for people with constipation as they have a gentle laxative effect for adult humans.

While your adult birds might and seem to have handled them fine, your younger birds at the same dose so to speak are effected as they do not have the size or body mass that the adult birds do.

Also when looking for treats or non food rations on the internet, the information might say it is fine, but double check that you are comparing apples to apples, i.e. fresh to fresh versus fresh to dried as dried fruits are highly concentrated compared to their fresh counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom