Deadly Broody Silkie Feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catwalk, Jun 18, 2010.

1. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    My Silkie Phyllis is broody for the second time. Last year, I gave her 5 EE's to raise, and she did a great job. This year, she received 5 Serama chicks, and it has been disaster! Two have died for various reasons, but I just lost one to strangulation. She got her neck wrapped up in the fluffy feathers, and that was that! I caught it happening three other times so far, but I got the chicks unwrapped before their demise. The kids are three weeks old now, so they're not weak and helpless. I was giving my neices the coop tour the other day, and we were playing with Phyllis' chicks. We went outside and came back in a few minutes later. That fast, there was a dead chick stuck to her leg! I have since trimmed her up, but I have never heard of this problem from anyone else. [​IMG]

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    So sorry for your loss.

Whenever possible, I let my broodies set & hatch my eggs. All I have are Silkies, and one black Cochin bantam hen. NEVER have I had the problem that you mentioned. I hope the trimming you did solves your problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by