Deadly Gene?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 17, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have read a few different post where Alex and others reference a "deadly gene" in quail, I was wondering if you could go into this with more detail so I could understand

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I'm curious too!

I've tried searching it and what little I found was confusing.

I did find this that may help a little... not sure.
    It seems you do not want to golds breeding.

The gene for gold colouring is dominant. Thus, a Gold crossed with a normal Coturnix type will produce mainly gold young, and a few brown feathered ones, in the ratio of 2:1. It is worth bearing in mind that two doses of the gold gene are associated with a lethal condition, with up to 25% of the eggs failing to hatch.

I am interested in what others have to say.

Quaillady may be busy putting life jackets on the ducks. [​IMG] She said it looked like they were in for rain and I know they've had alot!
    Hopefully here and others will be along with some info on what this is.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
  4. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Mibotsu~
    That's a good link! Thanks..
    But i'm still confused. lol... But that's not surprising, least not to me... [​IMG]

Maybe Quaillady will be a long and explain that link a little better. I know Orange Ribbon was wondering about this too.

Are there Color combos' that should be avoided?

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i think its alot like when you mate a horse and a donkey, and get a mule, that is always sterile

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's going to be nice here I hope. No rain clouds lol. It sure was cold a couple nights ago though!

If you breed gold to gold you should expect 25% of offspring not to hatch. Overtime breeding just golds together also results in color fading and very poor fertility (hence why we don't see very many manchurians around). I keep Some Browns in the pens with my golds. Not only does it help them maintain their beautiful markings, the lethality percentage does go lower. The gene that is responsible for the lethality is "Y" (yellow) and we can't breed it out or we won't have the golden colors in the first place. It's not a horrid gene at all. Just don't expect a 100% hatch rate with your own eggs [​IMG]

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Awesome guys, thanks for clearing that up for us, I'll definitely keep a couple Tibetans in with mine then [​IMG]

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] all hale alex, the goddess of quail, lol

9. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Great info !! It's a little easier to understand now!
    Thanks!!

Glad your weather is clearing up! I bet even the ducks are tired of rain. LOL!
    I think it moved to here though ! LOL!!
    The quail may need a electric blanket when I move them out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by