Deaf & Blind Silkie

Taco Tequila

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2021
Hello there! I'm terribly sorry to bother, and I'm quite unsure on where to post this, though I assume it may be related to behaviour, so here we are. A few months ago, we adopted a silkie from a breeder who didn't want her anymore, and were told she was only blind in one eye. Some time later... We discover she's blind in both eyes, and is deaf, too. We brought her to the vet to make sure, and he confirmed that she was as such. She's a very sweet lady, and lives for now with our quails. She only reacts to touch, or vibrations in the ground...

I was more so looking for advice, as I'm worried she isn't happy. Does anyone know or have any advice on keeping care of a blind and deaf hen? Once the summer comes, we're considering making her a pen outside, and get her a friend maybe. Though I've been lost on what to do... I was told maybe it'd be best to cull her, as she's unhappy, but I'm just very torn, as I really would like to give her the chance of life, and make her feel as happy/comfortable as possible. So... Found myself turning to here, in search of awnsers. What would be best to do? Has anyone ever dealt with a blind and deaf chicken before? Any advice on what I could do?

I'm terribly sorry once again for bothering... And thank you all for not only taking the time to read this, but for any help!

What is she acting like? Is she active? Blind/deaf chickens can still have happy lives if they have a nice coop, food, water and love. If you're worried, you could get her a private coop with another "special needs" chicken.

If a chicken is eating, active and laying with clean feathers, that chicken is living well. Happy is more of a human emotion, not really completely applicable to chickens.

If she can find her way to and from the feed bowl and water, and other chicken do not peck on her or relentlessly abuse her, then she is doing just fine.

On the other hand, if she stays in the same spot, seldom moves, cannot find feed unless directly given too her, if she is bedraggled, with dirty feathers, thin, and/or the target of abuse from other birds, then I would cull her. Her quality of life is poor, and really not a lot you can do about it, unless you keep her with you 24/7.

Mrs K

I agree with others. How is she acting. I have a chicken who is blind and she does just fine. She's 3 yrs old and still lays almost daily. We just make sure to keep the food and water in the same spot and don't move anything around the run. She even free ranges but my other girls take care of her. It like they know she aways needs a buddy. I've seen the guide her back to the coop at sunset.

Hello there! I'm terribly sorry to bother, and I'm quite unsure on where to post this, though I assume it may be related to behaviour, so here we are. A few months ago, we adopted a silkie from a breeder who didn't want her anymore, and were told she was only blind in one eye. Some time later... We discover she's blind in both eyes, and is deaf, too. We brought her to the vet to make sure, and he confirmed that she was as such. She's a very sweet lady, and lives for now with our quails. She only reacts to touch, or vibrations in the ground...

I was more so looking for advice, as I'm worried she isn't happy. Does anyone know or have any advice on keeping care of a blind and deaf hen? Once the summer comes, we're considering making her a pen outside, and get her a friend maybe. Though I've been lost on what to do... I was told maybe it'd be best to cull her, as she's unhappy, but I'm just very torn, as I really would like to give her the chance of life, and make her feel as happy/comfortable as possible. So... Found myself turning to here, in search of awnsers. What would be best to do? Has anyone ever dealt with a blind and deaf chicken before? Any advice on what I could do?

I'm terribly sorry once again for bothering... And thank you all for not only taking the time to read this, but for any help!
If she eating drinking and foraging I say she is happy.

I’m one to believe that her circumstance is completely not any fault of hers, so she should be given every chance possible. If she has bonded with you, and you with her, why not make her life worth living? If she’s not in any pain, eating and drinking, attempting to preen, and alert, then give her a special needs chicken setup to live out her life. If she is conditioned to find the same place every time to eat, drink, and sleep, then she is far ahead of most in the same situation. I had a blue slate turkey male born blind. He had his own small special enclosure where his feeder and waterer were in the exact same place. He learned to use the walls to lead him to eat and drink. (I also hand fed him). I brought him out on good days under my supervision, where he could feel the sun, strut about, and mingle with his siblings a little. He lived to be 7 years old. Additionally, perhaps she would do well with a companion as long as they are as sweet as she is. That way, she can at least feel another chicken (duck,etc) near her and not feel alone. Good Wishes!

Thank you all for your advice! She spends most of her days sleeping, though she does move around as everytime I check on her, she's sleeping, in another area. The old owner told us that she had stopped laying around a year ago ( she's two years old ), and her feathers remain very clean. She seems to be healthy in weight, and eats a ton when we plop her beside her food and water, plus there's always tons on the floor from the quails... We tried putting her with our flock, to no avail. Every time I pet her she does the normal "Brrrr" sound. Thank sincerely all for the help once again.

Thank you all for your advice! She spends most of her days sleeping, though she does move around as everytime I check on her, she's sleeping, in another area. The old owner told us that she had stopped laying around a year ago ( she's two years old ), and her feathers remain very clean. She seems to be healthy in weight, and eats a ton when we plop her beside her food and water, plus there's always tons on the floor from the quails... We tried putting her with our flock, to no avail. Every time I pet her she does the normal "Brrrr" sound. Thank sincerely all for the help once again.
I would get her another silkie or special needs chicken.

Also does she have access to dirt so she is able to preen herself? And does she roost at all?

Back
Top Bottom