1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    One of my hens, a Rhode Island Red named Victoria, is strange. I once clapped near her head and got little reaction. Thinking she might have bad hearing, I took a squeaker from a dog toy out to the chickens today and did a test on all of them. All of my chickens heard the noise and looked around for whatever was making it. Except Victoria. When it came to her turn, I pressed on the squeaker about a foot away from her. No reaction. It put it several inches closer and tried again. Still nothing. I pressed it again, holding it close to her ear. She still didn't move.
    She also makes odd noises. When I touch her, she makes a noise like a cross between a screech and squawk.
    She's acted like this in the almost three years since I got her and other than this, she's quite normal except that she reacts kind of slowly when the flock wanders off and leaves her behind or something.
    Oh, and if she is deaf or something, I don't know if it's from genetics or what. She's from a hatchery and was only a couple days old when I got her.
    Is she deaf? Or have bad hearing at least?

2. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    ?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She could be deaf. Or maybe she's just not all that bothered by your presence. I have an EE that I can clap my hands and stomp my feet at, no reaction whatsoever. She also tends to hang by herself alot too. Obviously, if she's lived 3 years and is deaf, its not really hindering her in any way. Good luck with her...

4. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by