Deaf rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joebryant, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Has anyone ever had a rooster that was born deaf or became deaf as a chick for whatever reason or known of anyone else's having one? Did it learn to crow? If so, did it crow very much?

Has anyone ever had a rooster that later became deaf (accident, sickness, whatever) or known of anyone else's having one? Did it stop crowing? If not, did it crow as much as it did before?

EDIT: Please don't try to pin me down on where I'm going with this because I don't want to get beat up.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=0589de42fdd2ffe65a96b862a9d86508

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Are you wanting to make your chicken deaf so it won't crow?

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Never had a deaf chicken before. Never even heard of them. but honestly. I do not think it would make a chicken stop crowing. because they crow by nature. Thats how little roosters thats never seen another rooster knows how to crow etc. and even deaf i think they would crow just as much. but i may be wrong. just my opinion..

ps.. i like hearing my roosters crow actually [​IMG]..

4. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have had deaf dogs and they bark so....I think a deaf roo would crow.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Wont that make him crow louder because he cant hear himself. Kind of like a person that is loosing their hearing they seem to talk louder so they can hear themselves.

6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yeah my deaf dog (Sinatra) and ones I have had in the past have had the loudest most weird sounding barks.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I do not think it would stop them from crowing in the least. My roosters crow whether someone is there to listen or not. I have seen many a deaf dogs bark, almost more and louder than a dog that can hear.

I have also noticed deaf animals tend to be much more skittish, nervous and aggressive. The aggression is caused by the nervousness and being skittish. I think they tend to stress more because they cannot hear anything coming up on them. I've dealt with deaf horses and dogs, both seemed more dangerous than those that hear. One deaf dog would attack anything or anybody that came near her because she seemed to think everything and everyone was sneaking up on her and interpretted in as an attack. Another deaf dog wouldn't leave her bed to do anything and barked at everything.

I would imagine that if deaf roosters didn't crow, more people would realize they were deaf or they would be in popular demand. I have never heard of a deaf chicken, so there must not be a noticeable difference.

-Kim

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I think that I'd better think this out again.
    Maybe I need deaf neighbors instead.

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

0_o

10. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Quote:I second that..... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by