Dealing with a cockerel in a neighborhood. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roxyanddutches, Dec 23, 2013.

1. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Today I found that my "pullet" is actually a cockerel. I only have two chickens and they are quite attached to each other. They have been together for about a month and whenever they are separated they both "scream". I am afraid if i remove the cockerel that my pullet will be very depressed. I would plan on getting another pullet if i did get rid of my cockerel. Please share your experiences and share your opinion I am at a loss.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    From the pictures in your 'gender' thread, it appears that your pullet may be a bantam and your cockerel a full sized bird. Far better to replace him with either another bantam hen or a bantam rooster if you are allowed to keep roosters where you live.

3. roxyanddutches

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    I am not allowed to keep roosters but I am afraid of separating the two b/c they seemed to have bonded. And yes the pullet is a bantam. A Dutch bantam to be exact.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There will be some fussing, but they will both get over it after awhile. If you're not allowed to have roosters, you really don't have much choice, do you?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with bobbi-j. When you separate pretty much any two animals that have been together for a period of time, they fuss a lot. But none of them have ever died of it, they just don't like it. They get over it.

Took one horse out of the paddock where they both live to graze in the yard today--out of sight of the other horse. You'd have thought the one left behind was having her heart cut out with a spoon! They were still in earshot of each other, but you'd have thought she was dying. They just carry on, is all.

6. roxyanddutches

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    I know but it's my baby. What do you suggests would be the best way to get rid of my boy?

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Around here, it would get eaten, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be an option for you. You can advertise it for sale (cheap) or giveaway, but it's best if you don't ask what their plans are for him if someone does take him. I don't know what kind of an area you live in, but I'm in a very rural area and roosters are hard to get rid of. I don't know of any other ways to get rid of an unwanted rooster.

8. roxyanddutches

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you for your help. Ok this is going to sound bad but is there anyway to ya know twist the rules? I live on a neighborhood, do you know what kind of trouble that I could be getting myself into. If there is anyway to avoid giving him away I will but if not I guess he we be on craigslist.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Like I said - I live in a very rural area. As in farm country - not some development outside of city limits that calls itself "rural". We live 20 miles from town, and a mile from our nearest neighbor. (Someone is building a house about a 1/2 mile from our place, and we're already feeling crowded...) So I don't have any idea what the consequences could be if you keep your rooster. Fines, maybe. New ordinances banning chickens altogether, maybe. I don't know. I guess if you want to take your chances, that's your choice. Could your rooster be taken from you? I don't know. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

10. roxyanddutches

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks and sorry I am just a little stressed out at this point. Thanks again for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by