Dealing with a hawk problem .?

Jryxx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Central Ohio
Since it looks like I may have a couple ducks in my future, I thought this may be a good time to ask. We live on 1/4 of an acre in a neighborhood (neighbors surrounding us on all sides), this being said, we live on the edge of the neighborhood. The west border of our neighborhood is a wooded area that separates the houses and the strip mall, there is also an owl & hawk that live in these woods. You can see the woods from my house, and the hawk enjoys flying over through the neighborhood quite often. I am very worried for the safety of my future ducks, as they will be allowed to roam my backyard which is fenced in, but offers no overhead protection besides a good sized pear tree, and a young small maple tree. Any suggestions on how to keep my ducks safe? Thanks

shotgun

(edit) if you cant fire a gun where you live , get a bb gun a good one and de-hawk your neighborhood , thats what id do

just dont shoot the owl lol, check with your local laws and make sure you wont go to prison for it first

Last edited:
I just moved into a new place and realized that there was a hawk's nest in my backyard. As much as I fear for the safety of my ducks, I also find hawks beautiful and majestic creatures. It was their space first.

It took a week, but I built a covered run in the backyard for when I can't be outside with my three ducks. When I'm home I let the ducks roam freely where I can watch them.

The baby hawk finally flew away from home, and I've only seen one lone hawk circling instead of three.

I have heard of people putting shiny objects and reflectors out to keep hawks away. Some say fake owls help too. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just that, because i am a worry wart and im very attached to my three. I feel more at ease knowing that they can play and swim with protection from above.

Hawks are protected also and are illegal to kill. Melissamerry offers good advice.

see this is good info which is why i always

check the laws to make sure i wont go to prison for it first lol..

it also helps to live way out where no one would see you do it anyways.. not saying you should or i would , just saying

Last edited:
When my husband's family lost a couple of chicks to a hawk at their farm, they started looking for something to protect the poultry. They couldn't afford to put a top on the yard, but they found a couple of old gas-fired brooders that were being tossed out at a nearby chicken farm. The (non-working) brooders are about a yard across, and tall enough for both chickens and ducks to scoot under cover when necessary. They also provide shade on the hot days.

I have an old EZ-UP canopy that is broken- I can't extend the legs anymore- but it still stands 4 feet tall without the extensions. I'm planning on putting it up in the duck yard to give my ducklings a safe place, although they also have the space under the coop since I put it up on legs.

see this is good info which is why i always

check the laws to make sure i wont go to prison for it first lol..

it also helps to live way out where no one would see you do it anyways.. not saying you should or i would , just saying

Lol I honestly wouldn't blame you for killing one. These ducks will be my pets and I would be pretty darn upset if one ever gave my pets trouble. Unfortunately there are laws and I live in a neighborhood in the suburbs so someone would see and call the police (not saying I would actually kill a hawk in the first place).

When my husband's family lost a couple of chicks to a hawk at their farm, they started looking for something to protect the poultry.  They couldn't afford to put a top on the yard, but they found a couple of old gas-fired brooders that were being tossed out at a nearby chicken farm.  The (non-working) brooders are about a yard across, and tall enough for both chickens and ducks to scoot under cover when necessary.  They also provide shade on the hot days.

I have an old EZ-UP canopy that is broken- I can't extend the legs anymore- but it still stands 4 feet tall without the extensions. I'm planning on putting it up in the duck yard to give my ducklings a safe place, although they also have the space under the coop since I put it up on legs.

We have a big pear tree which is very dense and a trampoline that I would think would provide good cover. Will the ducks know when to take shelter?

Well, I hope so. I've noticed that when a hawk flies over our property, they keep a close watch on it; even when most of them are drinking, there will still be at least a couple of them watching the sky.

I've had hawks dive at my ducks with me standing 10 ft. away. If you stick with large breed ducks and keep them confined till they get some size, they will most likely be fine. A hawk typically won't bother with anything larger than a bantam chicken. I say typically because sometimes you have a juvenile that is learning to hunt and doesn't know he can't carry the larger prey away.

I've had hawks dive at my ducks with me standing 10 ft. away. If you stick with large breed ducks and keep them confined till they get some size, they will most likely be fine. A hawk typically won't bother with anything larger than a bantam chicken. I say typically because sometimes you have a juvenile that is learning to hunt and doesn't know he can't carry the larger prey away.

Geez that must've been scary for you! And also your ducks! I plan on getting one Pekin and one Black Swedish. I also have a dog who is gentle and I think might even protect the ducks. My other dog might be a different story, but I don't know. I figure that there's enough cover in my yard (the pear tree) that if need be they can take shelter. You never realize how big the tree is until you attempt to mow around it. Lol

Back
Top Bottom