dealing with "air under skin" chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroos, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I have noticed the last few days that one for my chickens had a big puffy area under her neck. With a few minutes of web searching, I founf it was air sacculitis AKA air under the skin.
    So I followed some posters directions and (after 20 mins of saying "I cant do this, I cant do this...) I finally was able to poke the air sac with a needle. It hasent seemed to deflate much, but I held/cuddled her in a warm blanket and she fell alseep. The thing that is REALLY bothering me, is that she is trying her hardest to make noise but nothing is coming out...Not one little peep. its heartbreaking!
    Im wondering if she needs to go to a vet? or CROSSING my fingers, she will recoup tomorrow...?...
    any tips or advice? The kids are heartbroken. I informed them of what was going on because I think its a good learning expierence and they would notice in a second if one of our 12 was missing all the sudden....

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    So sorry you all have to go through this [​IMG]. I personally would make sure to supervise her through the night and if she still shows no sign of improvement by tomorrow afternoon I would consider contacting a vet.

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    If it is air sacculitis, this is a symptom - it is not a disease itself. You may have a very sick chick on your hands. I would separate it from the others and make sure to wash hands etc. you don't want to transmit anything to chicks that aren't sick. If there is a poultry vet near you, you may want to make an appt.

Here's a bit of info about some of the diseases that birds get - respiratory diseases can be big problems.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/diseases.html

4. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    I am so glad someone else is dealing with this. I have two chicks right now that have this and I did not really know what to do. Thank you for the link it was very helpful. I have already started treating them with this antibiotic so heres to hoping! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by