Dealing with an aggressive chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wakulla bill, Mar 23, 2013.

1. wakulla bill

wakulla bill Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    N Fla
    Bill and I have not raised chickens in many years(this is Bobbi typing), I am wondering how to deal with a chick that just wants to poke the others' eyes out. They are supposed to be Rhode Island Reds, but there were 3 black ones in the mix. It's the black ones that seem to be causing the trouble, except one black one that gets along with the tan ones. What do you do to deal with an aggressive chick?

I have a picture to add, but no sure how to do that.

2. OrpieLover31

OrpieLover31 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 5, 2012
    Earth
    Are you using a red lamp? Sometimes chicks can get to much energy with a normal light, which in that case the chicks will start pecking each other! You might want to separate the aggressive chicks if thats not the case! Otherwise Im not sure what to do... sorry

3. wakulla bill

Mar 21, 2013
    N Fla
    Yes, we have a red light. I did end up separating him for a short time, just carried him around and let him peck at my laptop, he seemed to really like the typing. When I put him back, he was very subdued. Not sure if I was supposed to do that but it seems to have worked. Maybe even the opposite effect, he seems sullen and keeping to himself.

4. OrpieLover31

OrpieLover31 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 5, 2012
    Earth
    Hmmmmm, odd...

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe try adding some alfalfa, a flock block or something for him to peck at. Kind of like babies who need to satisfy their need to suck using their thumb or a pacifier. I am not sure.

6. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    What are your black ones? I have australorps and they are black and no matter what color i put in with them, they would get real nasty, even as chicks. My poor Blue Australorp had a fun time getting along with them, it took 2 months to finally integrate. Every other breed I tried with them was attacked, silkies, RIRs, everything. My poor GWL Roo was nearly ripped apart, i had to wait until he was nearly a year old and had some heft before adding him in. It was him that tamed them down, he keeps them in line.

7. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Some breeds are naturally more aggressive than other breeds :O( But chickens have a natural tendency to want to peck everything and anything....especially when bored. They love to peck shiny things too-- try hanging a tin pie pan as a toy?? Also-- they need to have adequate space! I don't know how old your chick is but make sure if you remove him from the brooder that he is kept very very warm-- if he is subdued he might be exhausted-- mine exhaust quickly and easily but after a short nap they are ready to eat, drink, scratch, and peck some more!

8. wakulla bill

Mar 21, 2013
    N Fla
    We have no idea what breed the black ones are. They are black with white hairs on their heads and wings. Bought them from a guy on craigslist and he told us they were all Rhode Island Reds. Probably I did just exhaust him, but so far, he still seems subdued. I asked Bill whether we should give them toys to play with, but he seemed to think it was a ridiculous idea. I'll look for something shiny to hang from the lamp. The other chicks that I thought got their eyes poked out have their eyes open again, so glad about that. Probably the eyes were just injured or they were keeping them closed for protection?

9. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    They might be barred rock, there are lots of breeds that are black as chicks. RIRs are never black, they will be light rust colored to yellowish.

10. LadyofChickRose

LadyofChickRose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Step one, hope the perpatrators get nice, if they do, good, if not, eat them when they grow up.
    This was my way out when a guinea keet didn't stop atacking my rooster.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by