Dealing with mites in house

Lnzsmith

Songster
5 Years
Nov 14, 2017
Central Missouri
Okay, we have a problem. Our 8 + year old Buff is ill (we will probably euthanize soon) from ?? but also a mite infestation. We have been keeping her separated and because of her illness (probably an internal reproductive disease) inside because of two new chickens we brought to keep her company after her brood mate and bonded pair was taken by a fox a week ago. We have been keeping her in a) a cluttered sunporch b) an empty basement room and c) last night, after we bathed her in a permethrin solution, in the laundry room. She is definitely dying, and I have posted another thread and have received good info from there. But we now have three areas in the house that are definitely contaminated with mites (it's northern fowl for sure) and it is like 40 degrees outside and raining and I.Don'T.Know.What.To.Do. We have 6 indoor cats and they are scratching like mad. I imagine though we have obviously kept them separate they are probably carrying some of these mites around. Before I knew how bad her infestation was I got covered with the mites and am all bitten up. We want to keep her comfortable as long as necessary. Of course it's a weekend and no vet is available to euthanize. We luckily aren't hosting for Thanksgiving but this is not something I want to go on and on in the house.
Does anyone have any advice? We will not be able to use permethrin spray or powder in the house because of the cats, it is highly toxic to them.

I am not familiar with cats, but while looking for info I found this:

Bird mites infestations can not maintain on humans and humans do not become carriers Can you transport mites on your clothing shoes etc yes but once the problem is cleared from the environment and pets then the effect on the human should be gone as well. Right now the treatment for humans centers around controlling the itching with anti-pruritic (ant itch)medications and antihistamines.

Here is some information not detailed but information none the less

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5i.htm

Hi Lnzsmith! I'm sorry you are experiencing some issues.

Are your cats scratching their ears? It appears the mites that affect cats are different. If you've been keeping the cats away, the cats may have their own type of mites.

https://www.petassure.com/new-newsletters/cat-mites

I made the mistake once of bringing in a chicken that had mites. The chicken was in a carry kennel and it was soon obvious there was some mite activity. I sprayed a cirlce around the kennel with Raid house and garden spray...MAKING SURE TO LEFT THE KENNEL AND BIRD OUT OF THE WAY SO THE BIRD DOESN'T INGEST OR COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SPRAY. The mites would die when they hit the ring.

I moved the chicken out in the morning. And sprayed and wiped up the mites. I left the kennel outside. It was winter and it froze the mites in the kennel.

If I were you I'd spray the areas with regular bug spray. :)

Okay, I think we can manage this with some serious cleanup. Will heat, ie the dryer, kill these suckers as we wash the rag towels we've used to make her comfortable?
Wash any affected clothes, rags, bedding for the chicken/cats in the hottest water your washing machine can provide. Dry those items on a high temp as well. That should cook any rogue mites. Basically the same as when mites/scabies is discovered at school or when bedbugs are involved.:thumbsup

They don't have ear mites. They might have fleas although we treat them regularly for that, but all pesticides have a lower success rate nowadays. I like your idea Wickedchicken6 but we are sadly way too far out of the gate for that, like I said she's been inside for several days in several places. Good to know freezing kills, the sunporch won't be an issue then! The laundry room has me somewhat freaked out though...

What do you think of the oil/dishsoap/water spray idea for the areas affected (again, this is not the coop, we are dealing with the birds out there differently with spinosad)...? We just want to avoid pesticides / permethrin / etc. in the house with young children and cats. I don't mind a few bites but I have visions of being infested for months....

They don't have ear mites. They might have fleas although we treat them regularly for that, but all pesticides have a lower success rate nowadays. I like your idea Wickedchicken6 but we are sadly way too far out of the gate for that, like I said she's been inside for several days in several places. Good to know freezing kills, the sunporch won't be an issue then! The laundry room has me somewhat freaked out though...
It's possible they picked up mites. It could be other things as well. Here's some information that may/may not be applicable. I learned a few things...lol. I don't have cats in the house. I'll pass it on to you in case it's of interest.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_cheyletiellosis

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/flea-prevention#1

Back
Top Bottom