Dealing with Neighbor Dog Suggestions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenmomma16, Dec 28, 2012.

1. chickenmomma16

chickenmomma16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    [​IMG] Neighbor dog keeps getting into our trash which is one can with a latching lid. Tips it over and... you know the rest. He has not bothered the chickens but the chickens then eat the trash that the dog left over. NOT acceptable. This dog does this at least once a week. The neighbor has already been talked to by our other neighbor and he hasen't done a THING to patch the fence.

Suggestions for a trap so I can nicly explain that next time the dog will not be coming home, he will need to be picked up at the nearest shelter...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check with your local animal control. They may provide you with a trap.

3. chickenmomma16

chickenmomma16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    Our animal control I dont think loans out traps anymore. At least they didn't a few years ago. Too many people never returned the traps, ruined it for the rest of us. I will ask them again, maybe things change...

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    how friendly is the dog? catch it and draw a bullseye o it's side...

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Does the neighbor deny that his dog is doing it? Would be great to have a pic to be give to animal control in case the guy is a jerk about it.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    get a dog proof bin. Then the dog won't come around as he will not be able to get the food.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This is a pro-active effort that will work on other dogs and varmints that have yet to visit, kind of like the good fence makes good neighbors line thrown about so much.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The OP already said that there is a latching lid on the can. Depending on the OP's area, they may not have any predators that would break into a trash can.

I would talk to animal control about your options. Talk to law enforcement about your rights.

I do believe that we should all try to do everything that we can to protect our animals. I do NOT think that we should have to go to extreme measures in order to protect our animals from roaming domestic animals. People should keep their animals under control. I have lost free ranging birds to hawks and coyotes. I wasn't happy. But when I found a neighbor's dogs in our pasture after they killed a few chickens I was ANGRY! My hubby says he couldn't shoot a dog, I could, if need be, to protect my birds.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

The latching mechanism is clearly not up to the task. Upgrade and raccoons will not be able to get in either.

Doing everything to protect your animals includes not baiting predators in with easy eats poorly contained by a trash can or uneaten feed in open barrels or on ground. Ultimately this is not about one darn dog or even dogs. You got the bait, you got greatest burden of responsibility.

1 person likes this.
  10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sometimes if you put a little dog poop in the trash can the dogs will leave it alone. You can also try household ammonia or hot cayenne pepper sprinkled on the trash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by