Dealing with red mites and now..

Katybird80

Chirping
May 27, 2021
So I have been dealing with a red mite infestation for the last couple of weeks (a nightmare to say the least) and now my Buff Orpington has been walking around “fluffed up”, as in her feathers and tail, for the past couple of days. All of my birds have been treated twice with very tiny amounts of Ivermectin at the advice of my vet. The entire coop has been stripped, power washed, and sprayed twice with an insecticide that was also recommended by my vet. Everything was allowed to dry completely for 2 days each time. I also sprinkled the run with DE and added a little to the clean bedding. I burned all of the old bedding and even built new nest boxes. I haven’t seen any more signs of mites and the two girls who had lost feathers have actually started to grow a few back.
Now this with the Orpington..? Could it be a sign of some sort of toxicity? I moved all the birds to an entirely different area while cleaning and treating the coop. I followed the dosage of the Ivermectin as per the vet’s instructions. I am at a loss.
And yes it has been warm but knowing my chickens and their normal behavior, even in warm weather, this doesn’t look normal. I could go back to the vet but really hoping to avoid the cost.
Any thoughts?
And I do not have a rooster so not thinking it is related in that way.

Exactly how much ivermectin did the vet tell you to use?
What exact poison did you spray in the coop?

When was the last time you put the ivermectin on the birds and how long ago did you spray the coop?

Try using permrethrine poultry dust or spray, de is not effective and dangerous for you and your birds to breathe.
Edit: I'm inclined to think your bo has a different issues, is she acting broody or lethargic?

Try using permrethrine poultry dust or spray, de is not effective and dangerous for you and your birds to breathe.
Edit: I'm inclined to think your bo has a different issues, is she acting broody or lethargic?
I did sprinkle a little permethrin dust in bedding but not a lot. Maybe a tsp. in boxes and a tbsp on floor.
She has been acting broody but I have taken her out of the box everyday so she will eat and drink. Once she is out she eats, drinks, and scratches around the yard as normal. No lethargy that I have noticed.

Exactly how much ivermectin did the vet tell you to use?
What exact poison did you spray in the coop?

When was the last time you put the ivermectin on the birds and how long ago did you spray the coop?
I was told that Ivermectin is off-label for chickens so I should use as little as possible. I applied one small drop of the 5mg.
I cannot remember the spray I used as I am not at home and cannot look at the label. I purchased it at a local feed store.
The last time both the chickens and coop were treated was about 2 weeks ago.

I did sprinkle a little permethrin dust in bedding but not a lot. Maybe a tsp. in boxes and a tbsp on floor.
She has been acting broody but I have taken her out of the box everyday so she will eat and drink. Once she is out she eats, drinks, and scratches around the yard as normal. No lethargy that I have noticed.
You answered your own question. "Fluffed up" is typical for a broody. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom