Dealing with the summer heat????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Jun 2, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have been seeing some posts here about chickens getting heat stroke and even some dieing from it. In some cases, as I just read this morning in the "quail" section that the temps were 80 degrees and that they had lost a hen.

It has been 80 degrees plus around here for the past week. My 3 month olds have been panting, along with my quail, however they have plenty of shade which I hose down each morning to keep cool, (evaporation process of our dry New Mexico air), I keep their water changed and cool all day and even a tray of cool water if they so desire to get into.

Should I be worried about my young girls now? I would hate to lose any of my new babies. [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like your doing everything right. Making sure they have a shady place and cool drinking water, is about all you can do, and you don't have the humidity which makes the heat worse, I also run fans in my coops 24/7 We have to remember that some breeds don't do well in extremely hot climates as others don't in extremely cold, and purchase that way. All the best.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    We are in the 90s and some days over 100. I keep a fan going on near their pen and twice in the afternoon I take a glass baking pan filled with ice, with frozen chopped veggies sprinkled on top..they get a lot of use out of that.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have the shallow rubbermaid under bed totes that i place frozen 1L water bottles in

I cover the bottles with a mixture of play sand and DE.. the bottles keep the sand cool and fight bugs at the same time.. they will dust bath in that all day... I have 8 bottles i will put 4 out at about noon and switch them out at about 5pm.

I hose them off at night and all 8 go back into my chest freezer. i place them into a bigger rubbermaid so that any dirt thats not hosed off does not get in my freezer.

have a large freezer so this may not be suitable for everyone.

their outside waterer .. I will fill it 1/2 way with ice and the rest with water in the morning

and then there is my daughters wading pool i have caught them in a few times dipping their feet..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by