1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dealing with this blizzard.... keep them inside?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherTheMommy, Jan 23, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    We are right in the middle of this blizzard and have about 10 inchea so far. It is still snowing heavily and the wind is very strong. I plan to keep my girls locked in the coop all day and hanging some treat baskets inside. Is this a good idea?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't believe you've much of a choice. Chickens don't llike walking in snow, especially without any experience in it like where you are. Open the door and shovel a path but I doubt they'll venture out.

3. MeepMeeps

MeepMeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Following. We put a tarp down on the ground hoping somehow we an lift some snow to make some clear area if they want to come out. Not sure if that will even work! I'm probably going to wait until the wind dies down before I even try. Plus they say it may sleet and don't think that will be good for them.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

As a person with lots of snow and chicken experience. I doubt they will go outside. The first snow of the year my chickens spend the whole day at the door, talking about the scary white stuff.

Even this time of the year when they have seen dozens of snow falls, every new one is an excuse to chatter amongst them self about it. I think one of them said the sky is falling.

When they come out (it will be a brave) one it will only come a few inches to feet, look around and skitter back in. By the second day they are out and running around, but they prefer the shoveled areas to the fluffy areas.

1 person likes this.
  5. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Im worried about opening the coop door and the high winds blowing snow in the coop. The winds are so high right now with lots of snow coming down

6. duluthralphie

I would not open the coop then. I never open mine during the "blizzard" part. But I have an open coop design, for ventilation, hardware cloth on the entire door so they get a little snow inside.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  7. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Just looked outside and there is a big snowbank all the way up the coop door so even if i want to open it i have a ton of digging to do which shows me that if i open it all the snow will blow right in. The door is ventilated i hope snow hasnt blown through it

8. duluthralphie

If it has, you can bet there is a committee of Chickens examining the white stuff on the floor and discussing what this portrays for their future.

9. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Just slowly made my way out and they are all cozy in the coop. Some snow got inside but nothing major. I scooped most of it out. Will go refill their water and add another hanging basket treat for them in a few hours

10. duluthralphie

Just be careful out there. They can handle a lot worse weather than you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by