Dear bob pros, can we sex my bob chicks yet?! *pic*

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Missi, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    [​IMG]

I'm getting eager! I want to name them! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I think it is still too early to tell yet. The picture makes them all look like they have a lot of white growing in. But that may just be the lighting. Keep watching for white flecks under the chin and the face stripe. They will be the boys. The heads of the boys will grow in darker than the girls also and you may start to see some black feathers there. Sometimes you can start to make guesses around 10 to 12 weeks, but depending on how they mature, it will probably take longer. Good luck!

3. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:OH! Thank you for the tips! I'll keep an eye for the white flecks & face stripe! This is exciting [​IMG]

4. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    P.S. The white on them really is as white as it looks in the photos. I was a little concerned about that. I guess if they were females, that would come in tan, huh? [​IMG]

5. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Not a pro by any means but i think you've got the rite idea,they look like roo to me . It will be hard for that white to turn Tan [​IMG]

6. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Ga.chickenman :

Not a pro by any means but i think you've got the rite idea,they look like roo to me . It will be hard for that white to turn Tan [​IMG]

Just my luck! Or...lack there of... [​IMG] *sigh*​

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    See, that is what I originally thought...that all of them look like they are sporting white. But I didn't know if it was just the photo or a flash. If they are all really looking that white, then you may have a LOT of roo's there!!!

Well, all I can say is that at least they are growing up together and may not kill each other when they are adults! If you don't introduce any lovely ladys to them, they can probably live together in peace.

Good luck with your Bobs!

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Did you hatch them yourself? Seems like when ever I incubate lately, I have an over abundance of roo's to hens. Must be something in the water around here. [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    How Old Are These Birds? They Look Quite Young Yet

10. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I did not hatch these quail myself, I purchased them at, what I was told, 3 weeks of age. Let's see when that was so I can calculate how old they are....Well looks like they might be a little over a month old now.

Here is how they looked when I brought them home (supposedly 3 weeks old):

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by