Dear God, they won't stop chirping!

Leihamarie

Songster
Jul 28, 2016
San Diego
Hi all,

I am a BRAND new backyard flock parent, and I just picked up my 3 (1 americauna 1 plymouth barred rock & 1 rirx) 5week old chicks today!!! They chirped in the box the whole way home and they haven't stopped since. They ate 2 bowls of mash and I saw 2 out of 3 peck at the chicken nipple water bottle, but the lights have been out for about 30 min and it INCREASED the volume. They are warm enough, they are fed, there are no drafts, and I've locked my dog and cat in my bedroom with me. They are still chirping. Sometimes it's shrill but it is constant Is this normal?!? I know they must be stressed and the chirping doesn't bother me so much as i'm worried that there's something wrong and I don't speak chicken yet.

They seem to increase the volume when it's dark and they jockey for huddle position in the far corner of the brooder. They are 3 out of about 30 chicks that were being housed together outside so I'm hoping it's just that this is a really big change for them and they'll settle down in time??? Also, it's a new number of them, so they might be figuring out their positions in their new, smaller flock???

When should I worry???

Thanks!!!! This has been an 8-10 month process preparing for the moment I picked them up, so it's a really big deal to me. I want them to be happy, healthy and well cared for.

Chickens hate change, so it's likely that this is the cause of their chirping (assuming they are warm enough)

Try giving them something to do (during the day) like give them a branch they can climb on, or a colored ball they can investigate & push around. Maybe an unbreakable mirror, so they see others birds in it.

Usually when they chirp non stop something is bothering them - too hot, too cold, too hungry (are they eating well?) or not drinking water. Check for pasty butt. PLaying a radio softly through the night might reassure them they are not alone.

if you just picked them up odds are its the fact that there is no light. Most chicks are brooded from birth with 24hrs of light ( heat lamp keeping them warm). Makes sure temp is at the recommended temperature ( i think it's about 90 ish? someone can fix that) and eventually they will get used to no light.

The title cracked me up....been there done that.

Could be they are just scared at the new place..Ken's right, chickens don't like change.
If they are fully feathered the temp shouldn't be an issue, unless they were kept too warm form hatch.

Make sure they are pooping, the nipples can take some time to acclimate to and you must make sure they stay hydrated.
When I train chicks to a nipple system, I'll put a regular waterer in late in the day just for a bit to make sure they go to sleep hydrated.

Last edited:

Thank you SOOOO much for the replies! I figured out what was wrong, they WERE thirsty!!! Poor babies were totally thirsty. The nipple waterer was air-tight and wasn't functioning properly. When I fixed it they stood around drinking like they'd been on a desert island for months. Thry are happily figuring out their hierarchy at the moment In a surprising twist, I think the BPR is gonna be queen hen! Poor little Americauna looks like she'll be at the bottom rank!

Thank you SOOOO much for the replies! I figured out what was wrong, they WERE thirsty!!! Poor babies were totally thirsty. The nipple waterer was air-tight and wasn't functioning properly. When I fixed it they stood around drinking like they'd been on a desert island for months. Thry are happily figuring out their hierarchy at the moment In a surprising twist, I think the BPR is gonna be queen hen! Poor little Americauna looks like she'll be at the bottom rank!
Glad you figured it out! They are soo adorable.
love.gif

Oh Good!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone put a nipple in a glass vessel before.
You can just poke a small hole in that lid then use the screw band to avoid any big spills.

They're gonna need a bigger house very soon.

Back
Top Bottom