Dear Humans, Thanks, Your Hens (Their complaints about coop cleaning)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Greendecember, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Greendecember

Greendecember In the Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If our Chickens could write I am sure this is the note they would have left me this morning.

Dear Humans,
    Thank you for dispatching that pesky rooster yesterday. [​IMG] It was very considerate of you to clean out our floor and give us fresh bedding also. We are even more glad that most of the guineas decided they preferred the tree to the coop again. However, we are not pleased with your rearranging or our furnishings and want our work bench back. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Your Mr. Cockburn and His Hens

Yesterday my husband and I dispatched the extra rooster and cleaned out their coop. We did a full clean out as we use the deep littler method and it looks like it might warm up soon. While we were in there we did some things we should have done to start with. You see, their coop is a converted work shed until we can afford to build the coop we would prefer. So we removed an old work bench / cabinet. The Chickens preferred to roost on it but it was a poop nightmare! We left them the other free standing upright shelving unit most of them were laying eggs in rather than build new nests like we planned yesterday because time was not on our side. We did dome upgrades to the old metal shelving unit like putting lips on the shelves so they didn't loose the bedding when they jumped out and such. Hubby didn't like its location before either so he moved to to the other end of the shack and attached it to the wall so they would not pull it down on themselves. One of the doors fell off in the process but it was always open for them to get in and out of at will anyway so we didn't bother reattaching it. He also installed an extra rail for them to roost on as desire.

Apparently they did not like their new arrangements because well after they would normally go to bed they were still running around looking for a place to roost outside. I sorta expected the guineas to do this despite the fact their favorite roost were left undistributed. The chickens decided the pick up and the front porch were better options than the coop too though [​IMG]

About 1/2 the guineas and 6 of the 9 remaining chickens settled in the roost after a while. We hoped the other guineas that had not took to the tree would go back in but no luck. Soon as the last three chicken hens settled down we snatched them up and put them in the coop and locked it up.

This morning there were 4 eggs in a nest made on the floor in the corner of the shed and only 1 added to the old nest which I left the eggs from before the cleaning in as not to freak them out too much.

Are we going to have a bunch of pissy birds and Drama every time we clean out the coop? Or was it mostly because we rearranged it? it wouldn't be a huge deal if it were not for night time predators and my dogs wanting to go out and play in the yard during the day. They usually share the yard. Dogs get it morning till 2pm then they go to the house and barn as their job dictates and the birds get run of the property till dusk when they put themselves to bed.

So today i have pissy birds and pissy dogs and pissy goats all cuse we cleaned out the chicken coop and no one but the humans are apparently happy with the results! LOL

2. team edward

team edward Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    [​IMG] HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3. team edward

team edward Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    I think they will be a lil freaked out everytime you move something that they are used to. My chickens hate it when their boxes are not where they like them

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chickens are funny creatures of habit. You may even have disturbed the pecking order, too, from that move. They like things the way they got used to 'em. The senior birds get the favored roost locations, and you CHANGED that!

Silly things. [​IMG]

5. Greendecember

Dec 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Oh goodie LOL Well they are going to be pissy again tonight then but perhaps a little happier in the long run. Hubby built a shelf out of an old 1"x6" board and put it where the bench was. Then he made another one a little lower on the other wall.
    Mr. Cockburn made him self at home on the roost with the guineas. I'm not sure where everyone else slept last night but all were alive this morning so that is good.

All this time I thought it was "If Mama ain't happy ain't no body happy." Apparently on our farm it is "If the Chickens ain't happy ain't no body happy." Their pecing order apparently reaches beyond the coop all the way out to the barn where my Herb Queen let me have it cuse her dog was unhappy. Guess i know who is in charge around here now LOL.

6. Greendecember

Dec 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Update, last night 3 Guineas and all the chickens went into the coop without assistance. The rest of the guineas are in the tree again. I had to let my dogs out. I hope they are smart enough to stay in the tree until I bring them in.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Your hens are deep down, very grateful for your excellent care and furniture rearranging. They just don't want you to get a fat head and forget to give them treats, that's all.

8. Greendecember

Dec 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:LOL Oh, I see. Head games it is them. Who says Bird Brain is a bad thing [​IMG]

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] that is hilarious

10. Greendecember

Dec 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:It has been one of those laugh or cry kinda weeks hehe I choose to laugh [​IMG] A friend of mine asked me what the return letter would be. This is what I sent

Too Whom it may concern,
    We appreciate your gratitude. I am happy that a better smelling coop meets your approval. I am sorry you disapprove of our interior decorating skills. The work bench is gone never to return again so get over it. We ...will however be building an additional roost that we hope you approve of. We also plan to have construction of your covered patio to the rear of your coop finished soon so you may enjoy the fresh air as you please and not have to wait for the dogs to go to the house or barn. Please also note, as per our contract, eggs are to be laid in their designated place not on the floor of the coop.
    Thank you,
    Your Humans
    PS Please note we have hired 25 more chickens. They are in training now and should be with you in a few weeks. Please prepare to welcome them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: