Dear Santa, My Luck Stinks!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I have 17 Silkie eggs in my incubator. Temp and Humidity good. Only 3 are developing. [​IMG] Maybe shipping was too cold? Its 6 days now. Many blood rings, many just blank. Very disappointing [​IMG] Does anyone have any Splash Silkie eggs to spare? Or a mix of Silkie eggs (bearded) with Splash included? I have Paypal and can pay instantly. I hatched out 10 chicks 13 weeks ago and 9 were roos. My bad luck again! [​IMG] Is there a Santa out there? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Very well possible winter weather has chilled the babies too far and rendered them unhatchable. Probably ran down the freeway in negative temp weather.

Looks like it's time for you to search BST in hopes for Santa!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Well, veins can take up to 10 days sometimes (at least in my experience, especially if you don't know how old they are) so give the bank ones a few more days. Maybe Santa will send the chickie fairy to give you an early present after all.

BTW, LOVE your duck's fro! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks... I knew it was a little risky with the temps so low. I wait until 12 days anyway before throwing them out. Maybe someone will help. I am looking for a nice bunch of silkies for the spring. I have a white and a black already, looking for a mix. I LOVE the splash silkies! The ducks fro is a bit frozen this morning, definately needs to go to the beauty parlor after the foot of snow [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sorry about the bad hatch [​IMG] [​IMG]

Winter can cause a lot of problems for eggs !!

Where are you located ??

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Hello, I am in CT. The temps were not that bad last week. But I got the eggs from Georgia, so I didn't think they had a long way to go. The duck eggs from NewChickenMom are doing well... OUT OF 4 EGGS, 3 ARE DEVELOPING WELL. Hopefully someone will have eggs to send me... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by