Death after zipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    One of mine made it to zipping and then died?? Any ideas on what happened? Temp was 99-100 and humidity was around 80%.

Thanks!

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    is your humidity gauge up high..? you might have a layering affect like i do... mine were shrink wrapping after pip'd, and some hatched... weird... calibrate your hygrometer, and get another one to measure different areas in your bator...

3. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Can you describe "shrink wrapping" for me?? That seems like what may be going on, but only with a few of them??

That's a great idea about the hydrometer... I actually think I have another one already here somewhere! Thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

4. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i'm still a newb when it comes to hatching... only hatched twice, and both went very horrible...

i think... might not be correct... but i think shrink wrapping happens when the humidity inside of the egg is very high that the membrane is soft; comes in contact with fresh air with lower humidity... it causes the membrane to dry out so fast, that it glues itself to the chick inside and doesn't let them come out completely... this hatch i attempted to save three zipped/shrink wrapped chicks, and one made it... i guess i waited too long... also, the one i saved was only pip'd so the membrane wasn't that bad around the chick... just came out with pasty butt...

next hatch, i'm raising the humidity to 75-80%... i kind of dry incubated 25% days 1-18 60% lockdown... that's what people told me to do... i guess i'm doing it wrong... but don't be discouraged... it's a learning experience...

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Quote:Dry incubating is fine. I did it with my last hatch but the lockdown humidity should be at least 70-75%. My hatch rate was 100% and it was a stagered hatch.

6. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Thanks, guys!!!

I raised the humidity (used a straw through the air hole to put more warm water in the reservoir! Worked great!) and I believe it helped. My hydrometer says 85% right now... and two chicks just hatched. Out of 22, I have 16 chicks out, 1 died during zipping, 3 I think aren't going to do anything at all, and 2 are pipped and working on hatching. All in all, I can't complain for a first hatching. Next time I'll know to keep the darn lid on it no matter how much I want to pull those dry babies out!

7. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:Dry incubating is fine. I did it with my last hatch but the lockdown humidity should be at least 70-75%. My hatch rate was 100% and it was a stagered hatch.

i don't know whats the deal with my bator... it's DIY, but it's not as different as other's... i have to figure it out before i start incubating next month... thx for the advice...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by