1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Death among us

Discussion in 'Quail' started by missred871, Jul 25, 2010.

1. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Okay, so I hatched out 51 coturnix and button babies about a week and a half ago. A few were born with crooked feet (probably from either incubation heat or being in the egg too long since the few that had bad feet were late hatchers) and 3 of those died within a day and a half of hatching. Two that hatched a little early died as well. Then a couple more died and I found my daughter in the freakin brooder pickin them up and talking like a baby to them telling them how cute they were and a few more died...... needless to say she won't be going near a brooder again.....ever...... and then.... we moved them out to the brooder trailer, which we just finished (the temporary way anyway) and whoops the stupid trailer was hot enough on its own not to need a heat lamp.... so we lost two from overheating. Then this morning a bunch of them were dead. like over half of them (just the coturnix since the buttons are in their own brooder and we havent had any problems with them at all yet) the trailer is only about 94 so they arent too hot. The waterer seemed to leak which I am sure was part of the issue but.... a few of them had a large blister on the back of their neck.... any ideas on what that may be? One who had a blister a couple of hours later it had gone away and he survived for the time being. Also they are all a sticky matted mess. very strange, is this some sort of illness? When I left for work the 12 we had left seemed to be doing fine aside from their stickiness and ,matted feathering. they were eating and scratching the food around. Doing fine. THEN I come home from work and a few more were dead. I was dissapointed to say the least. I am upset that I have lost all my birdies and cant understand what is going on since the buttons are perfectly healthy and nothing has happened to them. Any ideas on what is going on with these birds?

2. GBov

GBov Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    NO idea but it sounds horrid!

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Welcome to the world of quail!

I decided to hatch quail this year and after about ten years I forgot how frustrating it can be. You look at them cross eyed, and they keel over! My first batch of twenty I lost all but one, the second batch of 15, lost only two, and the third batch of 30 I picked up the 6th stiff this morning. Down to 24. Very sensitive to temp, prone to piling, and if you can get them through the first week, odds begin to go in your favor. Mine were bobs, valley, gambles and blue scale.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Turkaholic, you're scaring me. My first button quail hatch earlier this month resulting in 8 hatching out of 25 total eggs shipped to me, 1 died within a couple of hours, one was touch and go for about 3 days but seems fine now. Now, I have 53 coturnix and 29 button quail eggs in the incubator. "Lockdown" is wednesday evening. I really am hoping this batch goes better.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the more domesticated types of quail that have been bred extensively in captivity like the various strains of buttons and coturnix are less delicate than wild species types? I just wonder if generation in captivity makes them a little easier to deal with?

5. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Well I know that piling is a BIG issue with the coturnix. I have hatched before with not near as many problems but the heat here just the average temp is 102 without the heat index.... very very rough

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If They Get Wet Before 3-4 Wks Of Age They Are Dead Dispite The Brooder Temp..... They Will Get Hypothermic And Die.... Even If You Catch It When They Get Wet And Immediately Remove Them And Use A Hairdryer To Fluff Them..... Within 12 Hrs They Will Be Dead. Same With Most Gamebirds.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Ps

If They Are Piling They Are Too Cold..... Either Your Brooder Temp Is Off Or They Have Gotten Wet And Are Hypothermic, Etc.... But If They Huddle Or Pile They Are Too Cold.

8. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:I know that piling can be a sign of low temp but they were doing it even when the temp was really high. I moved the to the outer trailer and the temp got extremely high, I fixed it of course but they were still piling. I cant understand it. Now I have raised before a few times and never had a group quite like this one. They are really strange. Thanks JJ I was hoping you would answer you are definately the quail guru of BYC lol. I had a feeling after they all started keeling it was because of getting wet. I think they somehow dislodged the water jar and it spilled over darn plastic screw ons. They sure dont last long.

JJ any thoughts on the blister? It is a quite large size blister like an opaque color on the back of the neck. Any thoughts?

9. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I know that piling can be a sign of low temp but they were doing it even when the temp was really high. I moved the to the outer trailer and the temp got extremely high, I fixed it of course but they were still piling. I cant understand it. Now I have raised before a few times and never had a group quite like this one. They are really strange. Thanks JJ I was hoping you would answer you are definately the quail guru of BYC lol. I had a feeling after they all started keeling it was because of getting wet. I think they somehow dislodged the water jar and it spilled over darn plastic screw ons. They sure dont last long.

JJ any thoughts on the blister? It is a quite large size blister like an opaque color on the back of the neck. Any thoughts?

how close is the heat source in your bator to the chicks ? I thought I was looking at what you describe on a coupla the chicks I have hatched the humidity is quiet high during lockdown here( the chicks look like little teradactals that somebody sneezed on) and as they dried out the "blister" seem to disappear I think at least on this end I was looking at their shoulder blades [​IMG]

10. DLS

DLS Songster

It is just getting down to 75 or 80 degrees at night here I bet its hot in perry also, we don't live that far apart. Are they getting to hot? the heat might be to much? maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by