death and togetherness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarheelmama7914, Sep 13, 2010.

1. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    So... I noticed for the last two weeks that my sexlinks were all huddling together in the brooding house all of the time except for when they ate. I had heard a meowing sound and something like drawn out groaning for many days. well 2 days ago now one of the 2 1/2 year old sex links died in the brooding house. The hubby took her out and burried her. Now the other 2 sexlinks I have left are out enjoying themselves again and my egg layer out of them laid a nice one today.

2. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    anybody else had that happen?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Did you find the source of the meowing? Maybe the dying hen was making the sound and it spooked the others?

4. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    well the meowing hasn't happened since. I still hear warewolf noises from one of the roosters, and the silkie sounds like a chimp. So far my sex linkshave laid a nice large egg everyday between them selves. I have a feeling i know who is laying it. I wonder if my other hens or duck laid any since we've been staying at the hospital with my 2 yr old. I have odd eggs, I'll post about that on another post. But those stopped being there suddenly 2 days before we left.

5. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    I am so sorry for you loss! I can only imagine the others knew she was in trouble and stayed with her. So sad....

6. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    I would not be surprised at all if her sisters were just sitting with her to comfort her until she passed. They know these things. My barred rock hens will comfort one another if one is having a tough time with an egg.

DD

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I lost a young game pullet a few weeks ago with a broken neck. Her sister sat with her until she died, then stayed huddled up in that same spot not eating until she died. I kept trying to push yummy treats on her and even force-feed, but she would not take anything. [​IMG]

8. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    chickens are sooo smart

9. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    so sweet and so sad. [​IMG]

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I had a baby chick die when she was about 5 days old. She was sent from Ideal it was very hot and the 9 others died in transit. I drove 98 miles one way to get her some mates so she wouldnt be lonley but she was too weak from the trip. The night I brought the others home she passed. When I went to check the next morning knowing in my heart she would be gone I found all the other chicks laying in a circle around her and one the littlest laying next to her. They hadnt even hardly spent anytime with her but was compassionate enough to comfort her and help her pass. After I took her out to bury her they all went about their normal routines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by