death by broodiness or bound egg???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chkncrzdhppdyz, Jun 24, 2016.

1. chkncrzdhppdyz

chkncrzdhppdyz New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    A friend of mine gave me 4 jersey giants yesterday. She specifically gave me one that she claimed was being really bloody qith her and had sat on eggs for 30+ days with no hatchlings. She told me thats why she was really small and not doing great looking great. Today she was found on the floor so I took her out of the coop and gave her a bath nice and warm in the sun. She was very lethargic wouldnt drink or eat so i knew she qas going to die. So i made her comfortable. However after she passed about a half hour after her bath, I examined her body. She was extremely thin skeleton like and she had an enormous egg in her chest. The biggest part of her was this egg but not close to her vent at all. Could this have been the cause of her death or did she die from brooding too long???

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about the loss of that poor hen. This "egg" you're describing, was it just below her neck, on her chest? That is where the crop is located and I'm thinking she may have had an impacted crop. That, if untreated for too long, can cause death in hens.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your hen. [​IMG] It is never easy to lose them.

I agree with Sumi here, sounds like her crop had troubles. It is located in the chest of the bird. Any eggs should have been in the Oviduct which is located along the back of the bird and toward the vent.

[​IMG]

However the only way to truly know how she died was having a necropsy done on her right after death from a vet or your local county extension.

However I do welcome you to our flock! And if you run into any more issues, feel free to ask questions.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

4. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG]I am so sorry about your chicken...
    Justin [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello! I am sorry for the loss of your chicken

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry about your hen. :( Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by