Death in flock created new bullies

Mittmom

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
One of our five hens died unexpectedly a week ago. As if that was not sad enough now the two largest hens are bullying our bantam, and to a lesser extent their other flockmate. I am pretty sure the one who died was the bottom of the pecking order though our flock seemed very peaceful. I have read to wait up to 2 weeks for the order to be established. I plan to wait it out unless the bullies draw blood. If that happens I will put the victim in a separate area until we figure out what to do. I put alternate feeding and watering stations so that there are options for them. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Don't pull the victim, pull the bully. Once you pull the victim is very hard to get her back in the flock.

Make sure that a bird eating at one feed station, cannot see a bird eating at another station. Pieces of plywood or even cardboard can make mini walls in a run, and allow for a hidden feed bowl.

Mrs K

Don't pull the victim, pull the bully. Once you pull the victim is very hard to get her back in the flock.

Make sure that a bird eating at one feed station, cannot see a bird eating at another station. Pieces of plywood or even cardboard can make mini walls in a run, and allow for a hidden feed bowl.

Mrs K
Thank you I will do that with the hidden feed. I thought about pulling the bully but there are 2 bullies. The 2 biggest are picking on the bantam.
Maybe I can separate the two big ones from the two smaller for awhile. How long do you recommend keeping them separate before trying again? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom