Death in my chicken family

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick'nmamma, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chick'nmamma

chick'nmamma New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    One of my 2 almost 3 month old chickens got killed the other day. Now I have one lonely baby, I brooded both girls so Kristin is super friendly but scared now. I found some 3 month old reds on craigslist, should I get 2 of them or brood some new babies in hope of slowly introducing her to them? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Really sorry to hear about your chick. I hope you've been able to take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again (predator, accident, etc.).

If you get chicks that are a few months old, you really should quarantine them. At that age, it's possible they could have some disease. If you get new day old chicks, it's going to be quite some time before they can be together.

So hatch or quarantine? With a quarantine, at least after the 30 days she'll have instant buddies.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    If you have the space to quarantine the new birds, it would be OK. If not, then I would raise more babies. Sorry you lost one of your birds.[​IMG]

4. chick'nmamma

chick'nmamma New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you both for the input! I guess I don't really have a set up for a quarantine situation but I could figure something out. Do you think they would get along at that age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by