Death in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Midnight, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Midnight

Midnight New Egg

Aug 19, 2007
    GA
    Help! I am new to raising chickens. I had 16 of 6 different varieties until this morning (silkies and seabrights are the little ones and the rest are bigger varieties). They are three months old. I had two roos, one silkie and one seabright. When I unlocked the coop this morning, the silkie roo was dead. It appears he drowned. I have a standard 3 gal. chicken waterer. He had a tiny bit of blood on his comb. There were seabright feathers everywhere around him. I think they got into a fight and the seabright killed him. Is that possible? The waterer has the center as the tank with about a one inch basin around the outside for the chickens to get water. I can't imagine how he could have drowned any other way but having his head held under the water in the one inch opening. He was wet from the bottom of the neck to the beak. They had been fighting in the yard for about 2-3 weeks, but only once was it aggressive more than just "posturing". The silkie was the larger of the two but not crowing yet. The seabright learned to crow this week. I am so sad. Please offer your suggestions. Do I "try" him as a juvenile? No chance for a coon or other predator to enter the coop.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss.

They probably did get into a fight, and through some fluke one got held down in the water.
    It would not be an intentional thing, so don't blame the other one. They were just doing what roosters do, trying to settle who is top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by