Death in the family, Graphic Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jrsqlc, Aug 25, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Can anyone tell from looking what happened. I came out to visit my guys and he was just laying there.

[​IMG][​IMG]

After i moved him i seen this.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the second Blue Slate that died within a month.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Was the bird(s) showing any signs of illness prior to death? Huddled appearance, lack of appetite, droopy wings with head pulled in, excessive thirst, lethargic etc....

Yellow green runny droppings are a serious sign, possible Fowl Typhoid, but you'll need to provide more info.

Losing a bird is never easy and very stressful. You begin to worry about the others. [​IMG]

3. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    He didnt look so good, color fading.
    we didnt see him eating much and he is normally the MAN of the pen and yesterday his bro was kickin his butt.
    I have never had turkey deaths till now.

what is Fowl Typhoid and how can i tell if we have that?? I dont want any of my chickens, ducks, or peafowl to get this and die also.

4. turkaholic

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Not saying it is definately Fowl Typhoid, just an example of the droppings you posted. It could be any one of several common poultry diseases and posting this in the Pests and Diseases forum might get you an answer. The only sure way to know is to have a necropsy done by a vet or state Ag Lab. Many diseases strike in the 3-6 month period for some reason, and I wouldn't want to diagnose your situation. Some of the symptoms in my first post are common to the typhiod, but if you want specifics on Fowl Typhoid, Goggle it, have a hard drink , and get ready for some scary [email protected] I wish you the best of Luck. Hopefully the rest of your birds will be fine and this is isolated.

5. turkaholic

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    By 3 to 6 month period, I mean of life, not March - June!

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It could be any one of several common poultry diseases

Turk is right on, there are a few that cause the yellow droppings.

Steve​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by