1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Death in the family

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spotted hen2700, Jan 9, 2013.

1. spotted hen2700

spotted hen2700 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi we are new to the chicken world and are having a great time watching the chicks grow into young ladies and since Christmas we have received about 2 dozen eggs from the girls. I drove in today to find feathers all over the place. We do live out in the sticks.
    There was piles of soft breast and back feathers in piles here and there but there was no blood on any of the feathers. The feathers looked like they were pulled from the bird and dropped, there was a trail at least 150' long. We never found the bird nor did I find and foot prints in the mud. My vote is a hawk... and help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tom and Joy

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Hard to say, but I know the hawks have really been flying over our yard more than normal lately. We have chickens & ducks who normally free range but I have had to quit that during the winter because the trees are bare and so they can be seen a lot easier. I did criss cross a bunch of fishing line over a small area to give them a little more room. Were the rest of your chickens hiding out when you got home. We had what was probably a hawk attack a few months ago and the ducks and chickens were all hiding - they refused to go outside for 3 days so whatever it was really scared them.

3. spotted hen2700

spotted hen2700 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you, and thank you for your help. I know what the bad guy is... a gray fox. I have set live traps to try to get him. I know it has to make a living also but not on my watch. I will move it to a new area when I get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by