death.Necropsy PICS AVAILABLE... scleroderma!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Well came home today to find one of my barred rocks dead ... laying on her back feet in the air.... never had a chicken die this way before. She was still warm so had not been long. I had not noticed any signs from her. No weight loss, change of eating, etc. Since I have had 5 other deaths in the last 6 weeks I was very frustrated. I decided to necropsy her. recently posted my RIR necropsy. Well I have done about 4-5 necropsies in the last year. This was the most abnormal. To start I had to cut through a thick 1" layer of dense fat that covered her entire bottom and organs. There was the layer of this "fat" but there was also this layering that seemed to surround the organs. I first noted the enlarged spleen. Then as I am trying to look at the different organs I realize that everything is connected by tissues. More tissues then are usually in the abdominal cavity. My pics once I post them will help show this. I mean I had to cut the heart away from the liver. They were adherer to each other. Looking at the intestine I noted that the lower parts of the ceca were narrowed and pale. When I opened them up there was barely any opening remaining into the lower intestine. The lungs were adhered to the ribs. The oviduct was enclosed in this layer of membrance. I decided while I was in there I would look at the organs. The gizzard was full but I was amazed at how thick the layer of muscle was around the inside. The hole from the .... I know it has a better name but its late.....tube leaving the crop was barely large enough that you could fit a pencil led through it... I don't know how she has survived this long. The heart walls were thickened. I also found what appeared to be old egg and large yolks. I don't think she was able to pass any eggs anymore because of the way the oviduct was and that the tissues around the cloaca were so dense. I could not physically stretch them to make a hole big enough for even some thing the size of a dime through.... let alone an egg.....

I have more findings but I am tired. I feel for my hen. The changes in her body could not have made life easy. I think she either died of a peritonitis... or possibly a heart attack based on how I found her.... not the usual pose that a dead hen is found in..... I will add more findings later and pics too. I know this is likely more detail then some people would want. But as I have said before I try to learn from my losses. If anyone has ever heard of any connective tissues disorders or cell overdevelopment I would love to know. I have not had time yet to search much. Thanks for reading. Night.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    [​IMG] Sorry about your hen. Is that area you are from in Nova Scotia? We used to live in head jeddore.

3. Lilredhippie

Lilredhippie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    Central Missouri
    Cystic Fibrosis?

4. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I live in Middle musquodoboit. Was at Twin Oaks today. At least when you find really abnormal findings you can see causes for the death. So many times it is unknown.

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    We mentioned that when I was talking to some people... can chickens get CF???

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I forgot to mention that when I went into the coop today after I found barred rock that at her perch spot there was green poop!!! I did not see that this morning as my husband let the girls out. So an EYP might be plausible and I think it is related to her anatomy... or the anatomy that has developed.... poor soul!

7. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    The pics are now up. I am tending a sick buckeye now...... she seems to have broken an egg inside as I found shell in her stool and her abd is enlarged. With so many different symptoms could they be related or just really terrible luck....

9. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    just a long shot, but fatty liver disease?

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:My thoughts also. What does their diet consist of? Great pics, thanks for sharing, I know that wasn't easy. Sorry about your losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by