death of a roo

tinksfly

Hatching
Oct 5, 2015
Had a raccoon try to get into my coop this morning. My roo defented his coop and the three hens but lost his life on the processes. Now all 3 of the girls woll not leave the spot where he died. It's so sad. Is there anything I can do to help them feel better. And yes they saw the whole thing.

Good for him. He did his job well.
Get another rooster, and a few more hens.

In the world of animals, it isn't the same as with humans. They see lots of things that would damage the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry you lost your rooster.
hugs.gif
I know how it hurts to lose them especially to predators.

This is a shock to the flock. They are going to be stressed for a while. I wouldn't force them to do anything at this point. The hens may even stop laying for a while.

I have found that you can calm them down with a couple of things....get a ticking clock in the coop. The constant ticking will help relax them.

Also, during the day, keep a radio on in the coop. Tuned in to some quiet music. Music will really help them to relax their nerves.

Give them time and they will forget, but it won't be over night. You might also try to find another rooster for your flock. And fix all holes so that no other predators can enter.

Good luck! :)

Had a raccoon try to get into my coop this morning. My roo defented his coop and the three hens but lost his life on the processes. Now all 3 of the girls woll not leave the spot where he died. It's so sad. Is there anything I can do to help them feel better. And yes they saw the whole thing.

I'm so sorry that happened! What a good roo. Thank goodness the hens survived. If you need any guidance on how the better predator proof your coop/run, I've attached a link to a raccoon thread. If you do choose to replace your roo and have any difficulty finding one, you can type in your state in the search bar to see if a BYC neighbor may have one to re-home or sell. Best of luck.

Edit to add the link! I forgot!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=raccons

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. That was a good rooster doing his job. TwoCrows has made some good suggestions, hope they help and things return to normal soon.

Welcome to BYC (sorry it wasn't under better circumstances)

There is a glut of roosters desperate for good homes. I hope you find one as good as the one you lost.
hugs.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Back
Top Bottom