death of a roo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tinksfly, Oct 5, 2015.

1. tinksfly

tinksfly New Egg

Oct 5, 2015
    Had a raccoon try to get into my coop this morning. My roo defented his coop and the three hens but lost his life on the processes. Now all 3 of the girls woll not leave the spot where he died. It's so sad. Is there anything I can do to help them feel better. And yes they saw the whole thing.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good for him. He did his job well.
    Get another rooster, and a few more hens.

In the world of animals, it isn't the same as with humans. They see lots of things that would damage the faint of heart.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry you lost your rooster. [​IMG] I know how it hurts to lose them especially to predators.

This is a shock to the flock. They are going to be stressed for a while. I wouldn't force them to do anything at this point. The hens may even stop laying for a while.

I have found that you can calm them down with a couple of things....get a ticking clock in the coop. The constant ticking will help relax them.

Also, during the day, keep a radio on in the coop. Tuned in to some quiet music. Music will really help them to relax their nerves.

Give them time and they will forget, but it won't be over night. You might also try to find another rooster for your flock. And fix all holes so that no other predators can enter.

Good luck! :)

4. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry that happened! What a good roo. Thank goodness the hens survived. If you need any guidance on how the better predator proof your coop/run, I've attached a link to a raccoon thread. If you do choose to replace your roo and have any difficulty finding one, you can type in your state in the search bar to see if a BYC neighbor may have one to re-home or sell. Best of luck.

Edit to add the link! I forgot!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=raccons

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry for your loss. That was a good rooster doing his job. TwoCrows has made some good suggestions, hope they help and things return to normal soon.

Welcome to BYC (sorry it wasn't under better circumstances)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is a glut of roosters desperate for good homes. I hope you find one as good as the one you lost.[​IMG] Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by