Death of her sisters; should we replace?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fifenashia, May 16, 2011.

1. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    My year old Rhode Island Red was in the coop yesterday when her 2 sister hens and duck were attacked by the neighbors dogs. The duck has made it so far, but the other 2 hens did not. So now we are left with one hen and one duck. Question is... do we get more chicks to build the flock back up?

They were all pets first and layers second, the whole family is saddened and I just want to do the best thing for my remaining girls. I was thinking of getting 2 Golden comets and another duck. But if we get them as pullets, it will be 5-6 weeks before they will be introduced. I have a friend who is offering me 6 week olds of any variety, but will they be as friendly and affectionate if not hand raised the way we did the first flock?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Wow, I'm really sorry. That is horrible. I think once you pay attention to the new babies and give them some treats by hand once a day they will come to be pretty friendly. 6 weeks isn't very old so they should come around quick.

3. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    Thank you for the input. I wonder if placing new hens in with her now would be detrimental or helpful?

She hasn't been in the coop since it happened. I have her in the house next to the duck so they both have company. I need to clean out the coop before I put her back down. But tonight she was in the yard with us as we said our goodbyes to our other hens and she was pushing at her coop door and calling (i think she was calling for the other two). It breaks my heart to hear her, I don't want to push it and force her to adapt to new hens if she isn't ready, but I also don't want her to wait too long and get adjusted to being an "only chicken" even with the duck.

This is such a crappy position to be in. None of us want to replace them, but I want her to have body heat this winter in that coop and she needs others around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by