death of moulting chicken

MPW61

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
I have lost a hen who was moulting, my other chickens had pecked at her. she was very weak, had lost weight and couldn't fight back. yesterday when I hot up they had got her on the floor pecking her. we took her out but sadly she died last night. has anyone else had this unpleasant experience

we are feeding them layers pellets. She was okay friday pm a bit pecked but otherwise fine. Eating and drinking well. When i got up yesterday she was in bottom of cage with them pecking at her. we took her out and she wasn't eating or drinking all day although i tried to give her water via a syringe!

Was she very thin at time of death? How do the remaining birds look? You may be dealing with a health problem not restricted to bird lost. Can you post a picture of flock and their coop?

Your birds look pretty good. Setup is very clean and organized. Biggest concern for me would be need for additional greens to help with balancing diet and promoting gut function. Otherwise hopefully loss was a fluke. Molting itself is seldom a cause for death but when feathers come out in large numbers that can be an indication of stress.

Can you diversify diet somewhat by supplying mealworms as treats? Sprouted grains of some sort would also help.

Back
Top Bottom