Death on a Factory Farm

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Dec 3, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

At this moment I'm watching an expose of a pig farm, Death on a Factory Farm, on HBO. I won't try to describe the horror.
    Is anyone else watching it?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Well, the show is over. The trial is over. Once again I've been convinced the "courts" should have their doors nailed shut.

3. Hmmm...I never heard of it....

4. scootermom

scootermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I haven't seen that, but a move called " The Animal Show" made enough of an impression on me that I became a vegetarian as a result. The show covered all aspects of animal cruelty on an industrialized scale. I've since gone back to omnivore status, but I do keep an eye out for "cruelty free" products. The testing on animals is disgusting and often redundant and serves no purpose. As an example, to test if detergents will damage eyes, rabbits eyelids are removed and then thier eyes are smeared with the stuff. Okay, maybe once I could see the argument that it is neccessary. But it is done over and over and over. Well, of course the data doesn't change, and neither does the amount of torment the animal is put through before it is euthanized.
    I love a good steak and don't get between me and my bacon, but I admit to not wanting to think about where it comes from.
    God blessed us with animals. Yes, we should use them , but humanely.

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Joe, I'm glad you mentioned the Life & Death on a Factory Farm. It's a real eye opener for people who have no idea what a factory farm is. No animal deserves to be treated the way animals are in those places. I like to show & tell people about my chickens to help illustrate the difference between farming and industrial meat factory farms. Did you know that some people don't even know that chickens come in any other color than white? It's always satisfying for me to let people visit my birds and see real chickens for the first time. I consider proper poultry husbandry to be a relationship that excludes animal suffering in order to obtain a product from them. Instead, I strive for a more symbiotic relationship in which they provide me with eggs, beauty, entertainment and even friendly interaction - and I provide housing, medical, and predator control. I think what you do with or to someone who is at your mercy that tells a lot about you.

6. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Fancbrd, I like you already [​IMG].

Joe, I havn't seen it yet, but going to check HBO for the next showing, TY

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:If you have the money and the freezer space consider buying market 4-h animals. They are normally raised outside and have had a lot of care

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't seen it, but thanks for the recommendation. I will have to try and see it somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by