1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Death on day 18 of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sbmeiniv, Mar 15, 2012.

1. sbmeiniv

sbmeiniv New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hello everyone,

So i'm using a styrofoam still air incubator with a temperature/humidity sensor. For the first 15 days, incubation ran smoothly. The temperature ranged from 98-100 degrees (with humidity ~40%) and candling showed normal development. I candled on day 16 and there was still movement. yesterday was day 18 and i wanted to candle before lockdown. The eggs looked very strange. There is no movement and the air sac is oddly shaped. This is the SECOND TIME this has happened. My previous batch all died on day 18.

What am I doing wrong!? ;-(

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are you sure they're dead, and just not moving because they're running out of room in the egg? I'd leave them a few days and see what happens.

3. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I agree with bobbi-j, I have never had chicks move that much in the egg while candling before lockdown. Day 18 they are preparing for the hatch and their beaks should be moved up toward the air cells. Just give it a couple days and let us know what happens! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by